GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Ground Floor» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Keeping it Lean & Mean in a Rough Economy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was initially just written in another thread, but it became long enough that I figured I may as well post it as a Session Report. As such, it may not be the best Session Report that you've ever read...

Intro
Game two tonight, and my wife destroyed me again, by a similar score. She's scored 54 points in both games, so I like to think she's just really gifted rather than me sucking...

Rounds 1-4: Saving for Expansion
After hiring employees too quick last game, I decided to hold off a bit and work towards an Assembly Line. Over the first few rounds, we were both slowly building up a money/info cache. I positioned myself on the Popularity Track so that I would have first choice once the 2nd Phase floors became available. I quickly built the Assembly Line, and then decided on the In-House Factory instead of the Research Lab for a 2nd build on that same turn. With those floors, I had planned on overloading the Retail Outlets and racking up the cash. My only hesitation was that a Depression was coming up, but I was really hoping for a quick rebound. Unfortunately, we had 2 Depressions followed by a Recession so the goods weren't exactly flying off of the shelves, and my new floors were mostly wasted. In retrospect, I should have went with the Research Lab since it's a bit more Recession proof. My wife went with that Research Lab instead, and slowly built up during the Recession.

Depression, Depression, Recession
While the employees were cheap, I decided to expand. And since I was eyeing the Construction Admin, I knew I'd need some employees in the future. Meanwhile, my wife kept lean and mean and didn't even add a 2nd employee until the 6th or 7th round (which is all she ever had).

I was hoping for a strong finish, so in anticipation of making some big money at the Outlets once the economy turned, I pumped up my employee count in order to use the Construction Admin to build out. Meanwhile, my wife built up some Achievement levels instead of focusing on production. With her lean and mean company size, some occasional big sells in the Outlets, and a steady line at the Consulting Firm, she had built up a ton of money & info.

Finale: Oops, did I just end the game?
Entering Round 8, I had 5 floors but I didn't seem to have enough resources to finish the game that round. My wife, however, had a ton of money/info and I could see she wanted to spend it on at least a couple floors. Using my Construction Admin, I took up 2 of the 3 Construction spots in order to slow her down. Meanwhile, I planned on using both spots to build TIs because I thought I didn't have enough for the last floor to finish the game. When it finally came around to build, however, I realized that my Retail sales gave me the money to actually build and end the game. I finished up the game, and while the finish wasn't quite as spectacular as I had hoped, I thought it was at least decent enough to squeak by with a victory.

Adding Scores: Holy Moley!
When we started adding up the scores, however, my wife had 13 points off the money/info points alone! (Yes, that's 39 money AND 39 info) Plus, she had 3 Achievement Floors and 4 upgraded rooms...for a total of 54 points. She actually could have had more points, but she forgot to upgrade her last two Ground Floor rooms (she had the corresponding Achievement). But either way, 54 is a pretty killer score especially considering the tough economy in those middle rounds.

Meanwhile, I limped to a final score of 38. I could have had 44, but since I didn't think I'd be ending the game that round, I didn't push to have supplies cubes in the upgraded Supply Closet (for which I had the corresponding Achievement). Instead, I used my last time markers to Advertise and go to the Consulting Firm for some info in the last round (since I anticipated a Round 9).

I'm really enjoying Ground Floor. It has some very unique decisions, and despite being a worker placement game, it plays completely different. I'm really excited to get some more plays and try out some new strategies....hopefully usurping my wife at some point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me sad about the fact that I've only played my copy twice and both plays were long ago...
But it also makes me glad that people are enjoying this

Winning the game with just one extra employee seems pretty incredible though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

She's beat me twice with only one extra employee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won my three games with 2. I like that you have the choice in this game and unlike other WP games isn't simply a rush to get more workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Meanwhile, I limped to a final score of 38.

I'm really enjoying Ground Floor. It has some very unique decisions, and despite being a worker placement game, it plays completely different. I'm really excited to get some more plays and try out some new strategies....hopefully usurping my wife at some point!

Mathue - Thanks for posting the session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Thanks for deciding to post this for all to consume.

You do realize we all expect you to post another report when you've successfully beaten your wife. Revenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
This makes me sad about the fact that I've only played my copy twice and both plays were long ago...

Long ago?! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. snore Luckily TMG has tracked down and spanked the distribution company and my games are on their way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Long ago?! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. snore Luckily TMG has tracked down and spanked the distribution company and my games are on their way.

SPANK! SPANK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paige Watson
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
Long ago?! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. snore

My guess is that he built the PnP version that was on the Kickstarter site.
I did this as well and have played it, but it was also long ago...

FezAZ wrote:
Luckily TMG has tracked down and spanked the distribution company and my games are on their way.

W00t!

Fedex Estimated delivery: Wednesday!

Can't wait for nicer bits, quality game boards and color printed cards...
(and Skyline and Kings of Air and Steam)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Winning the game with just one extra employee seems pretty incredible

I think you need 1 extra employee - I doubt there will be a lot of wins with 0, but it's definitely true that you don't necessarily need more than that. I've seen viable games with many (4-5) employees as well as few (2-3) employees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
paigew wrote:
FezAZ wrote:
Long ago?! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. snore

My guess is that he built the PnP version that was on the Kickstarter site.
I did this as well and have played it, but it was also long ago...

Essen pickup, actually. Since TMG are cool people and some friends of mine were going there, I managed to get my copy without actually going. (not that I don't want to go to Essen, I just can't really afford it)

I hope you all find Ground Floor to be as good as Mathue and me do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
Great session report. Thanks for deciding to post this for all to consume.

You do realize we all expect you to post another report when you've successfully beaten your wife. Revenge!

Lost again tonight. It was close though! 52-49

She tends to play a very similar game every time. Obviously, the floors available in the 2nd Phase switch things up a bit for her (meaning I usually position myself to buy first), but she definitely follows a similar path. No building in the 1st Phase. Only 1 hire the entire game. Extensive Consulting Firm with an occasional large sale at the Retail Outlets. Builds 1-2 floors early in the 2nd Phase after saving up money/info. Builds 3 Achievement Levels in Rounds 7 & 8 (and usually the same ones), after which one of us always ends the game. And her score is always in the low 50s.

I'd really like to get a larger game in...just to mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.