Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to try an email VASL game for the first time.
What I am wondering about is the procedure
used when your opponent reacts to your
moves -- especially in defensive fire during
the Movement Phase.

I saw this web page:
http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=ASL.NET:H...

The method used there is to step through your opponents log file until
you want to react (e.g. D1F). Then you backup one step and start your own log and record your reaction (e.g. resolve the IFT attack).
Then you send that log file to your opponent.

Is that the procedure everyone uses for VASL email games?
Or are there other popular methods to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good method. I will sometimes just start recording at the start of the MPh (or the log, if we're already in the MPh). If I don't do anything, then I don't bother to send the log, otherwise he gets to see what I did and did not react to... and any snarky comments I had along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always start a file from the beginning to replicate the real time reaction of DFF that would occur in a FTF game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often as the phasing player, I will record up to a point where I think it is likely that my opponent will be facing a decision about if/where to fire.

It is best to do several small Mph files as you go providing logical points for response because if the non-phasing player interupts, you start from that point and re-do whatever wasn't clicked-through up to that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Tchoup wrote:
...Also, as the phasing player you should let your opponent know under what circumstances you'd like him to stop the log and send it back. Often those conditions are like break (or worse), pin, a unit attempting to move thru resid. That way you don't have to stop after each D1F ... that can become a lot of logs depending on the scenario.

THIS.

When using VASL I tend to say "burn this whole log no matter what" or "stop if someone breaks" or "keep going unless a HIP unit appears" etc.

If my opponent hasn't said that I =typically= go through their whole log file regardless of what effects my D1F shots may or may not have had. On occasion, however, I do stop if I've had a remarkable effect (e.g. in a recent game I stopped upon scoring a 1KIA against the first unit leaving a stack as I figured it might affect the moves of others in that hex).

As the phasing player I often break up the movement phase into multiple files, just because one needs to know who's made it and who hasn't as well as which enemy units may have dropped concealment to fire, etc. The interactive nature of Movement & D1F is an aspect of ASL that precludes being able to get through the whole movement phase in one log file (IMO).

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sort of thing is quite important.
I recall one game where I did not establish stop perameters with y opponent and sent him almost the whole MPh when I came on the board sending a few tanks up to try and lay smoke or break his guys who could interdict my infantry coming on a very open board.
He chose to go for fairly low odds PF shots which rendered most of my tactics meaningless as the first tank effectively took away the shooting opportunities against the infantry and I could move the others in a very different way.
I duy stopped the log when he returned it and re-did quite a few of my moves. He was not happy about this at all sinc he had unHIPed an ATG late on in the move I'd sent and my readjustments appeared to take this into account. They didn't, I did not process the log beyond the move of my first two tanks.

All this could have een saved if I'd agreed some basic "stop" orders before the start.
Learn from my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop orders are the key to VASL PBEM.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to log the new file from the start of each player turn, so the last logfile from each player turn will always contain the "real" player turn, without moves that have been deleted due to D1F. Very handy for AARs.

When moving, usually move only some units and wait for reactions. Give stop orders and use common sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.