Subject: Crowd-sourcing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does crowd-sourcing for a board game work? Go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
No
First!

I have no idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
Does crowd-sourcing for a board game work? Go!

For a design? Not in my experience, no - I've seen a couple of attempts and they both failed to get anywhere between the pulls of people who had conflicting ideas about where to take the project. Design really needs someone guiding it and reining in the game to follow one particular path, if you ask me.

By all means ask for help, but if you don't have a single person or small group of like-minded people doing the heavy lifting, my expectation is an incoherent mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be interesting to see a game desinged by a crowd lead by a designer with no ego. The crowd makes suggestions and the designer filters the suggestions and combines the best ones to make a game, giving coherancy but being careful to never put in any of their own ideas, just those from the crowd.

I'm not sure it'd work, but it'd be an interesting experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious, isee lots of posts that ask people to tell them what kind of game to build, but they always seem disappear and not turn into much. So, I was wondering if any one had a good experience with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
I was just curious, isee lots of posts that ask people to tell them what kind of game to build, but they always seem disappear and not turn into much. So, I was wondering if any one had a good experience with it.

That's not really crowdsourcing though.

Here’s a good example where crowd sourcing works

http://www.crowdspring.com/

For single tasks like logo design, it is easy to take advantage of the crowd, you post the requirements, everyone sees them and then they make submissions and the project creator gets to choose from dozens of responses.

For game design it would be hard to manage a project where you are starting with nothing and want a complete prototype game at the end of the process.

Now it’s not the standard definition of crowd sourcing but this has been going on for years in the RPG world, there is a core set of rules for games and companies leave it up to fans to create scenarios and campaigns and share them within the community.

You could certainly work collaboratively online for a game design project but no in the traditional crowd sourcing sense, not unless you broke it up into very specific tasks and even then I think you would already have to have a design fleshed out.

For example say you come up with a new rule set for a dungeon crawler, you write the back story for the setting, you know you want a modular board, but now you need to come up with scenarios, items and creatures for the dungeon. In this case I think you could leverage the crowd, but handing out very specific item tasks like
1.Write a quest for X players, for X time limit for levels 1-5
2.Design a weapon with X attributes for the warrior class
3.Design a level 1 monster

Things like that, you would need to have time limits though on development and provide templates so everyone’s submissions followed the same standard, but it could probably be done

It would take some serious project management skills though for the lead designer to assign, track and review all the taskings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone mentioned once that you shouldn't give kickstarters too much choice in the content of your product, such as running contests or polls. because no matter what, some people will be disappointed with the results not going their way, and no one should have to or would want to pay to be disappointed.

I'm sure this isn't always 100% true, but I do think there's a lot of merit to it. In some ways, its better to say "we'll make the fourth map and urban map" rather than "should the fourth map be urban or forest? You decide!" knowing you can only do one and will be ignoring a percentage of your people that choose the other.

I think its worth keeping this in mind anytime you want to include backers in the content direction... that is, is getting backer inclusion in this content worth potentially alienating some small percentage of your backers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Commons
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

because no matter what, some people will be disappointed with the results not going their way, and no one should have to or would want to pay to be disappointed.

Then why are there so many Chicago Cubs fans at Wrigley Field year in and year out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Michael Rogers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I know this a personal response but I never understand it when game designers (or honestly any other artists) ask for ideas.

I mean besides imnprov artists...that would be the worst improv show ever "can I get a suggestion..nevermind I have a better idea".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.