Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P H
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been reading some posts on here about some people taking games with them when they go out to restaurants. I've been wondering what people do about dice. How do you keep them from rolling off the table? Well, you may say just take your time and roll them carefully. If you know my kids you would know that no matter how large a table you may be playing on, they will find a way to accidentally roll the dice off the edge. And believe me, with the kind of restaurants we frequent, you do not want to touch anything that has touched the floor. So maybe I'll just take a bowl. The sad fact is, all of the bowls I own are actually old tubs of cookie dough that we have washed. I don't know if I feel comfortable marching into a restaurant holding an empty cookie dough tub. I'm not sure if they would let me in. Also the dice would make a lot of noise rolling around in a plastic bowl. So I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out if the perfect portable dice bowl exists. The idea I have in my head is that there would be a bowl made up of some superthin fiberglass that would fold up to the size of a postage stamp so it fits in my pocket. It would have a padded bottom so it wouldn't make any noise when the dice are rolled. From the research I've done, the technology to create that kind of bowl won't be available for at least 25 years. So do you guys have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Games come in boxes. Boxes have lids.

There are some modest sized wood trays with felt bottoms you can purchase, also.

One clever, though loud, solution is to get a clear plastic multi-compartment box and put on die in each section. You shake the box and put it down, and look at the first X compartments where X is the number of dice you need to roll. This is handy for games with large and varying numbers of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

One clever, though loud, solution is to get a clear plastic multi-compartment box and put on die in each section. You shake the box and put it down, and look at the first X compartments where X is the number of dice you need to roll. This is handy for games with large and varying numbers of dice.

That's a great idea. Also, for a game that doesn't need very many dice (preferably something simple like two d6), you could go to a craft store and get something like a clear plastic hemisphere (like an empty christmas ornament), tape it to a cardboard base, and shake it to roll your dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miles
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an iPhone there are many dice rolling apps out there that accommodate different quantities of dice as well as different types. Barring that, I'd recommend making your own dice tray. Find a shallow bowl of a size you find appropriate, spray mount some felt on the bottom to help with noise and you're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your leather belt off, fasten the buckle, and put it on the table: quick dice corralling. Bring a thick towel of the appropriate size, or a piece of felt for the table surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This got kickstarted not long ago:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/890276109/dicecards-the-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
A small clear Tupperware (or equivalent) container big enough for all the dice to lay flat after you shake it and set it down on its lid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely left field but what about one of those foldable/collapsible dog bowl thingy's.

I am sure I have seen (but that was only in passing as we don't have a dog) some sort of silicon made ones which collapse flat-ish.

Silicon might be good as it would dampen the noise when rolling the dice.

[As for public perception you could say that its the "new" take on the doggy bag?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not a bowl type solution, check out this thread about using a 6x4 picture frame to make a dice tray
Minimal work required $8 small dice tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.