GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: 24 Outer Hexes in 7-9 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Ho
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies in advance if I've missed this somehow. How do you get to the required 24 outer (III) hexes for a 7-9 player game? I count only 18 in the base game. There are 6 regular hexes in RotA, but 1 of those is a II, which you need for the II requirement. Doesn't that leave us with 23 outer (III) hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 7-9 player game the starting home sectors are placed in the 3rd ring instead of the 2nd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnage994 wrote:
In a 7-9 player game the starting home sectors are placed in the 3rd ring instead of the 2nd.

That doesn't change the fact that you have 24 tiles in the stack.

It would seem that you have to play with either ancient hives, warp sectors or one of the mini-expansions (or just accept being one hex short) to play with 8 or 9 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are assuming that you would want to play with warp portals and ancient hives in a 9P (I know I would).

If you really don't want to then you can always use just one of the warp portal hexes (and ban warp portal development/discovery)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudcrab wrote:
They are assuming that you would want to play with warp portals and ancient hives in a 9P (I know I would).

However, they also recommend that you do not combine simultaneous actions and warp portals, and I imagine that you would want to use simultaneous actions in a 9-player game.

Even so, the ancient hive should be enough to bring the total to 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ho
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK. So it does seem you would need some of the other modules to get to 24 outer sectors. Not saying I wouldn't add warps or ancient hives, but was double checking if I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldrich Bautista
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is also the Supernova and Pulsar expansions that would allow for four more outer sector tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.