Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I sell I cannot take over a port with the same ship in the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You must choose between trade or warfare each turn.

You may postpone your decision, though. If your intention is to sell, but another player blocks you, you may choose to fight him. But then you forfeit your opportunity to sell (which you lost anyway, because of the blockade).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What interests me about this rule is how it compensates for a flawed rule in the original - which we had worked out successfully anyway.

A weakness was that you could sail into a port, sell for profit, and then take it over. That made things too "easy". However, I worked from a mistaken translation which was actually better. In that, takeover came before sale. So if you sailed into a port, you either took it over and then "sold" for no money, or else had to just sell for money, and then wait until next turn to take it over. It made decisions tougher and money tighter.

I haven't played the new edition yet, but the sell or attack rule makes it even more restrictive - you're not allowed to take over the port and sell in the same turn, even if you're willing to do it for no money. I don't know that I'll like this, but we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules we used for the first edition, stated that takeover came before selling, but you got money for your sale even if you sold to your own port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.