Hide
10 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: 30 minutes? Seriously? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Employee 2-4601
msg tools
I tend to assume that the playing time listed on a game box is always a vicious lie, but I see that BGG agrees that the game can be played in 30 minutes. Is BGG just quoting the box there? (if so, that's a shame -- a realistic playing time (or range) would be a valuable resource, given how far off the mark some boxes are).

Assuming you actually make it to at least the final level, I can't imagine Death Angel possibly playing in 30 minutes (or anything close), unless no one actually talked during the game (or ever really thought about what to do) and that would more or less eliminate the cooperative nature of the game (and probably make it impossible to win).

My four player game the other day took three hours. It included teaching, but everyone was absolutely up to speed within the first hour.

As that's not an out-of-the-ordinary playing time (I've had games go longer), I just want to ask how quickly other people are getting through a game of Death Angel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo games take me from 45 to 60 minutes, if I don't lose before that (30 minutes, when I lose 3 marines in the 2nd floor, and quit).

in takes longer, with more people, but mostly because of the talking and discussion of what to do, as the simultaneous action selection speeds things up, no matter the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
more like 45-1hr for a victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at 45 to 60 minutes as well, and those are all solo plays with 6 or 8 marines. I can easily see it going longer with additional players.

Well, unless, of course, you get hammered early on and those evil beasts overtake your team before you make much progress on your mission. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Employee 2_4601 wrote:
I tend to assume that the playing time listed on a game box is always a vicious lie...

Completely agree. I typically double the time if we have played the game less than 3 times.

Employee 2_4601 wrote:
Assuming you actually make it to at least the final level, I can't imagine Death Angel possibly playing in 30 minutes...

Making it to the final level is a big assumption. I've played plenty of games where that didn't happen, and the game was over in 30-45 minutes; sometimes even as quick as 15. You're basically saying, "If we take out all the short games, then the average game length is greater than the game length on the box."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the play time is dramatically longer if it is not a solo game.

I played solo a few times and it finished in about an hour or less each time.

Then I played a 3p coop game and it took us 3 or 4 hours. The next day we played a 2p coop (assuming it would go much faster now that we were experienced) and it took just as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
our 2p games are in the 30-50 minutes range, 1p is 25-40.

Assuming you do not lose early. On average, I would say 40 is a good estimate, once you know the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this mostly solo and it takes from 20-60 minutes depending on the game. Usually it's probably around 40 minutes.

With a group of people you're looking at 45-60 minutes for sure, maybe a bit longer if you're explaining the game or they're really slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
From setup to final crushing defeat my games last on average 30-40 minuets. So the box is right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Employee 2-4601
msg tools
Thanks for your input, all. I'm very impressed that some of you can play in such a short time (solo at least).

It does seem pretty clear that a single number as "playing time" is entirely insufficient for a game like this. I guess I'll put it down to marketing.

If only there was a way of entering actual playing times -- along with variables such as number of players, and experience -- here on BGG, with a page that provided graphs of the data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.