Subject: Volkare's scenario variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volkare's scenario seems good solo, but as a co-op game, we use one player as a wound soaker while the other player/-s kill some of his army.
Playing this way makes the game easy and no fun.

I was thinking about changing this a bit.

1)
Everybody is dealt the same amount of enemies.
You do not choose how many enemies you want, they are distributed evenly to all players. First green/gray and then red/white.

2)
When a player is knocked out and he still gets wounds he is eliminated (killed) after receiving twice as many wounds as his armour.
Or make it even lower - 4 wounds?

3)
The city tile is far away - somewhere North/North-East.
It has to be placed as far North as possible. You can't go back!
You have now a bonus for rushing there.

4)
Volkare's Return scenario can't be victorious without conquering the city.
You can capture Volkare first though.

5)
I like also Chris' idea:
Different enemies join Volkare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying something similar to 2 and 3 in Volkares March: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/924170/volkares-march

It uses a predetermined map to make sure that the position of the final city does not change. It also implements elimination, though I'm not entirely happy with the way it currently works.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this for a replacement:
- When a player is facing Volkare's army, if a player is knocked out and ends the turn with more wounds in hand than his actual hand limit (including any bonuses), he is eliminated from the game. He still counts for scoring, but his round token is turned permanently face down.

I think the actual hand limit check is interesting because it allows a player to use healing effects to get back in the game before the check happens. It also slightly benefits players who defend at their own city.

I am not sure what I think about the idea of white tokens randomly joining Volkare. It seems like it could be overly punishing. On the other hand, it gives some incentive to not flip elite units too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Person Playing
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
Volkare's scenario seems good solo, but as a co-op game, we use one player as a wound soaker while the other player/-s kill some of his army.

The main deterrent to that style of play would be effect on the final score. I imagine that loading up one player with wounds beyond KO gives them upwards of a -20 penalty at the end game?

I find most of the time that the scoring mechanics of Mage Knight push players toward a more enjoyable style of play. Of course, if the play group doesn't care about scoring, then other means must be taken to force them into a fun play style...

pabula wrote:
1) Everybody is dealt the same amount of enemies.

This certainly forces players to even out their strength, but I personally don't like it. It weakens the large-area-effect spells like Tremor and makes bad hands severely hurt players who are forced to take on more than they can handle.

pabula wrote:
2) When a player is knocked out and he still gets wounds he is eliminated (killed) after receiving twice as many wounds as his armour.

Permanent KO when receiving wounds equal to double hand limit seems like a good rule to me. For the rest of the game, they draw no cards.

This even stops people from over-abusing Banner of Protection, since they'd be unable to draw for the rest of the game. They could still use it to take a decent amount of wounds and get rid of them, but no more than 11-13.

The other suggestions are interesting, but I think your second rule is the best to specifically prevent wound-soaking. Simple, thematic, and easy to use/remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chung
msg tools
mbmb
pabula wrote:

I was thinking about changing this a bit.

1)
Everybody is dealt the same amount of enemies.
You do not choose how many enemies you want, they are distributed evenly to all players. First green/gray and then red/white.

2)
When a player is knocked out and he still gets wounds he is eliminated (killed) after receiving twice as many wounds as his armour.

3)
The city tile is far away - somewhere North/North-East.
It has to be placed as far North as possible. You can't go back!
You have now a bonus for rushing there.

4)
Volkare's Return scenario can't be victorious without conquering the city.
You can capture Volkare first though.

5)
I like also Chris' idea:
Different enemies join Volkare

1. I like this idea except that whoever is the weakest person in the group may be overwhelmed. This could help the co-op aspect of the game though trying to get everyone equally strong.

2. This I think is a good idea maybe have a limit on how may wounds the person gets before they are killed, perhaps 10? It would force everyone to take on more tokens rather than go the safe route of piling a bunch onto one person. Or maybe not killed but skips their next 2 turns?

3. I think having a fixed placement is probably a good idea. This is why I personally prefer Volkares conquest over the return scenario, because you cant place the city where you want and buy yourself more time.

4. I see no problems with this one.

5. I like that as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.