Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to ask, but I couldn't find any old post dealing with this issue specifically.

I decided to venture into the crazy world of paper maps via CC and Red Winter. Without getting into a debate about mounted/unmounted, can anyone tell me if crease wear is a problem long term?

I feel like, without back-bebding, I won't play a single map enough times to wear it out (I can barely play a single game enough times to learn it!), but I do like a crisp looking game. Since I have plenty of plexi, I rather not use poster frames to keep them flat, unless crease wear IS bad among maps. Otherwise, I like the idea of not fooling with the frames when I have good plexi around.

So, is this fear unfounded, or should I learn to live with some crease wear after a few plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Crease wear is probably inevitable.

I like the way you're thinking. Just enjoy the game. In an earlier phase of my life I wanted to keep hex-and-counter wargames pristine with little or no sign of wear and a minimum amount of marking.

After I realized that this system was essentially saving the game for somebody else to enjoy later... Well, now I write on the backs of the counters, mark the maps, don't bother to use plexiglass, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like plexi just because it helps me play the game. It is really annoying to have counters falling all over the place on a crease or when there is a really tough fold that gets pushed down during play and sends counters flying everywhere. Happened last weekend with Afrika (second edition). King Philip's War has been much easier to play without it, but I still need to get some more plexi.

I left mine at someone's house a couple weeks back, and they live far away. Not sure when I will be getting those back.

Off to Home Depot I go this weekend.

Enjoy the games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Creased maps, dog-eared pages of the rulebooks, worn out counters and cards, these only show the affection for the game. It's like a beloved book you've read too many times.

Embrace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always carefully back-fold all the maps before I play a game with paper maps. This means fold them the opposite way from the way they were originally folded, then unfold them. This makes them lie flat.

When you put the game back in the box, fold the maps the original way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
One word: Botox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Crease wear is probably inevitable.

I like the way you're thinking. Just enjoy the game. In an earlier phase of my life I wanted to keep hex-and-counter wargames pristine with little or no sign of wear and a minimum amount of marking.

After I realized that this system was essentially saving the game for somebody else to enjoy later... Well, now I write on the backs of the counters, mark the maps, don't bother to use plexiglass, etc.

I agree with Pete. Except I use plexiglass/glass for ease of play, not to protect the maps.

I do sleeve cards in games I play a lot (Command and Colors and twilight Struggle come to mind) but that is _both_ for protection and because I find cards easier to shuffle in "Card condoms" (using a mush shuffle.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Sidewynnder wrote:
... it helps me play the game. It is really annoying to have counters falling all over the place on a crease or when there is a really tough fold that gets pushed down during play and sends counters flying everywhere.

Another vote for plexiglass as play aid. Wear and tear on components is a given, plexi eliminates 'back-bending'of maps, and all stacks of counters are moved on the same plane.

And it always seems that the most important terrain sits in the middle of the map, on one, or more folds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
You'll get small amounts of wear on very few playings.
You may need to backfold with plexi too though.

In general, I don't play many games to get enough wear to bother
me - but there are a few that sadden me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
One word: Botox.

And crack creme...

Actually I solved this issue by buying up lots poster frames over time and then just keeping the paper boards I use frequently in them semi-permanently. I must have about 25 of them by now which I keep stacked up under a bed. That way I never have to worry about crease wear for my well played games. Probably added about $12-$14 bucks a game, however I haven't had to buy any more frames, because a number of the CDGs that originally had paper boards went to mounted ones making those frames available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a second copy for those games that are played so often that map-wear is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
You'll get small amounts of wear on very few playings.
You may need to backfold with plexi too though....

That is why I use glass for home use, the weight eliminates any need for backfolding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the number of games that I have - and the number that I would like to have, game degradation is not a large issue for me.

Realistically, I will get a game out once, maybe twice a year - with the exceptions of some of the smaller quicker ones (Ancient Battles Deluxe or World at War: Eisenbach Gap) so the chances of any significant damage is almost non-existent.

Oh, and I use Plexi as a play aid - I like the maps flat - not as a preservation device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I use plexi and only sweat drinks on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my often used maps in an artists case, always stay flat that way an never need to backfold.
Have to qualify that by saying that most of them are CC:E size so fit perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into art portfolios.

I keep all my Combat Commander maps unfolded and flat in something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Portfolio-20-Inch-26-Inch-2-Inc...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Products-Classic-Portfolio-20-Inc...

Check out local art/hobby supply stores. The one I have is nice as it's a clam shell style so it zippers along the top and sides and opens wide so I'm not sliding anything in.

I've also bought a few top-loaders. These are thin poster holders, no annoying frames to deal with. I use them for my more frequently played games and they store really well along a wall behind a bookcase or something or in a closet.

Here are some examples... can't recall which one I got, one type was for me the other where I work:

http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=17060

http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=17061
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Map creases on non-glossy stock will not deteriorate as fast as glossy stock. The clay used to create the glossy finish will start to crack after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I always carefully back-fold all the maps before I play a game with paper maps. This means fold them the opposite way from the way they were originally folded, then unfold them. This makes them lie flat.

I always back fold paper maps (carefully). I'm pretty sure they told you to in the rules for S&T and SPI games. Its standard operating procedure. I'm constantly amazed when I see pictures of maps that haven't been back folded or hear folks complaining about creases. all I can say to them is DUH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
billyboy wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

I always back fold paper maps (carefully). I'm pretty sure they told you to in the rules for S&T and SPI games. Its standard operating procedure. I'm constantly amazed when I see pictures of maps that haven't been back folded or hear folks complaining about creases. all I can say to them is DUH! :D

What amused me was AH's response to people breaking their really
crappy 80's era mounted maps by trying to backfold them - essentially
asking why anyone would do that. It's because the damned things
wouldn't lie flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, so based on the comments, I think I will get 1 frame and put all my CC stuff in it, then when I want to play just pop it open and find the map I need.

All other maps I'll just place back into the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

... plexiglass makes a world of difference:

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My solution, all CC:E and CC maps plus Pack 4 flattened in one frame.The sides pop right off and I can slide what map I need under some plexiglass.

I might do this for all maps that are the same size. I don't want a frame for every game, but this seems like a good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.