Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to create a tile that allows you to gain a yin-yang token, when you leave any two "unneeded" Tao tokens. Those tokens would remain on the tile until another player grabbed them (and left the tile empty), or exchanged them with two different Tao tokens (and received a yin-yang token).

Currently, there is no way to obtain a yin-yang token without defeating a ghost. This would allow a tile to give you that power, but only if you exchange it for Tao tokens.

Another issue that comes up in games is when a player owns tao tokens that would be better utilized in another player's supply. I know sharing is like an unofficial trade, but not really. Also, placing this tile in the center would allow players to focus on one side of the village, when the other side may not be their strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the yin-yang tokens are far too valuable to be regained through a village tile. The hole reason for the YY is to be a special power that you can only use once a play. The game is so generous that it allows you to get it back when you exorcise a special ghost, but they are definitely not a good that you should just be able to regain by spending the small cost of two tao tokens.

Still I like the idea of having a place to trade goods with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ying-Yang tokens are insanely valuable, worth way more than just two tao tokens (you can exchange them for two tao tokens (at the herbalist) at any time anyway). A well played YY often makes all the difference. If you want to sell them at a village tile, the price should, in my opinion, be higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that he's talking about buying a yin-yang for the cost of 2 tao tokens plus an action. Setting aside any aesthetic arguments about being able to buy it at all, I think that's a vaguely reasonable price: expensive enough that you'd be dumb to try to spam it, but cheap enough that I might use it occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
or exchanged them with two different Tao tokens (and received a yin-yang token).

For me, this implies that you can take two TT that lie on the tile, leave two other TT and gain additionally a YY. This is way(!) too powerful even though you use an action. Just think about the blua taoist. If he has the right ability, where he can use the effect of a tile twice, he can use his YY, get it back, use it again, get it back again and use it a third time during one turn! You can almost win the game by just staying on this tile, using tea house and sorcerer alternately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying Mark, but that wouldn't be possible because you can't trade with yourself. That was the whole point of the tile. So actually, it would be just like the circle of prayer, where the blue Taoist can effectively only do the action once.

Thanks for the comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone playtested this idea? I'm curious if it works out or if it feels like it breaks the game.

Also, I don't understand the difference between what Mark and Colin are saying. If there are already 2 tokens on the tile, do you get to take both of those and your Yin Yang token in exchange for leaving 2 of your own Tao tokens? That seems overpowered. Can you explain the token exchange more verbosely? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.