Saints in Armor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Casualties inflicted on unit. Casualty Threshold. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Koba
Faroe Islands
msg tools
Coming back to this game. A question:

A 6 morale unit with 3 strenght suffers one Casualty Hit. So I need to do a MC for "6 morale suffer one hit". Do I add the +1 modifier for reaching the Casualty Threshold too? Or is it only from the next Casualty Hit that the unit suffers this extra +1?

I would say, that I don't add the +1, because the rules 10.6.4 say that if the unit is AT or ABOVE its C-threshold, when fired upon, it must make the MC, and thus a +1 modifier.

So as this unit is NOT at or above the threshold when fired upon (but it reaches this threshold AFTER the combat), I should not add this DRM.

But I remember playing it the other way around, when I played this game a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
You make a single MC per 10.6.2 (unit with base morale of 6 or less taking a casualty); in addition, you make the MC against the lower morale triggered by reaching the unit's C-Threshold, per 12.5.2: "If a unit reaches its Casualty Threshold in the same fire combat that calls for a MC, make the MC against the lower Morale."

What the rules don't state explicitly is whether the unit is also already considered to be Morale Shaken when taking the MC. 10.6.2 seems to imply that it would not be, since it hadn't reached its C-Threshold at the moment it was fired on; but 12.5.2 seems to imply that the T-Threshold penalties kick in immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
I play it as the unit immediately loses a morale level, thus if it was normal it becomes shaken. It then takes a morale check because morale 6 units do whenever they take a single hit. Therefore if it fails it becomes morale broken.

The +1 for casulaty threshold only kicks in for subsequent hits.

Basically morale 6 units can be very brittle. That's why it is often better to use fire combat against them instead of melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Casualty Threshold effect occurs before the Morale Check.

I base this on a ruling in CSW post #10188 where the example is given of a Morale Shaken unit of Morale '6' which suffers a casualty which puts it at its Casualty Threshold (and therefore breaks it). The unit must now take the Morale Check for a Morale 6 unit which suffers a casualty using the Morale Broken morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.