Daimyo A
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished another solo game and one of the "players" never reached an advanced gov't.

Which got me thinking.. what do you call a gov't in this game if they don't become Theocratic, Autocratic, or Democratic? I assume there is some kind of gov't in charge- otherwise there would be no mechanism for central planning with the advance boards.

My second question: is it normal or ever strategically viable NOT to get an advanced gov't and instead work on getting the other advances to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchy, I'd guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess Despotism, just like most civilization games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see Anarchy as a form of government, in this case, mainly because there is some kind of command in charge of the civilization.

I guess the best thought about it should be a Tribal government, with loose cities bound together by blood relationship.

This approach is not that impossible, as this game represents Bronze Age (in the end), I belive circa 10 b.C. (Agriculture and Irrigation) to 6 A.D. (Steel Weapons, Siege Weapons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, mis-spoke(typed). Anarchy was your govt type in between govt changes in the original Civ. Despotism is probably the answer you were looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
I don't see Anarchy as a form of government, in this case, mainly because there is some kind of command in charge of the civilization.

I guess the best thought about it should be a Tribal government, with loose cities bound together by blood relationship.

This approach is not that impossible, as this game represents Bronze Age (in the end), I belive circa 10 b.C. (Agriculture and Irrigation) to 6 A.D. (Steel Weapons, Siege Weapons).

Bruno, I think you're underestimating the scope of the timeline of CoC.

Christian has stated that the game is supposed to represent history up to, but not including, gunpowder. And while gunpowder existed as early at 500AD, it didn't have a significant effect (read: worthy of being considered "an advance of civilization") until around 1200AD.

Further, you don't start the game with irrigation, you start with farming and mining. Farming has been around for about 10,000 years and mining arguably predates even farming by thousands of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mining#History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_agriculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder

btw- Irrigation has been around since about 3000BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrigation#History

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A general note on advances - government or otherwise. Not having "Roads" does not mean that the civ does not have any roads. Nor does no "Fishing" mean they never caught fish. It just means that these never played any significant role in the development or history of that culture. Likewise government advances represent having "perfected" and put into system an efficient way of governing.

Food for thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on it : your civ is a chefferie. It's not a fully fledged a government form, but there is a leader (the player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daimyo A
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
A general note on advances - government or otherwise. Not having "Roads" does not mean that the civ does not have any roads. Nor does no "Fishing" mean they never caught fish. It just means that these never played any significant role in the development or history of that culture. Likewise government advances represent having "perfected" and put into system an efficient way of governing.

Food for thought

I guess that is kind of how I thought of it when I was playing... as in an unperfected government that, while not democratic, does require some kind of consent of the subjects for the sovereign to rule as some kind of loose confederation, as opposed to an autocratic gov't which requires no consent.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:

Really? You think the game has a scope of only 17 years? Or did you leave off a few zeros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.