Popular Tags: [View All]
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: I don't like Patience games, never played any of them with a regular deck of cards and the few times I tried it on the PC I was so utterly bored that I couldn't do more than a few turns.

A few years ago a company called House of Slack (http://www.houseofslack.com/) asked around for volunteers to playtest their new game called Foresight before publishing it. I signed in and helped them a bit with both playtesting and rules editing. One of the games included in the pack was a Solitaire variant called Frozen Novelty (a joke on Klondike, I guess).

I have recently bought Sticheln. As I wanted to play around with the cards and there was nobody else available to play, I thought of trying to adapt the rules of Frozen Novelty to play with the Sticheln deck. The rules below are the result of this effort. Please note that I don't know the rules of any Patience game, therefore it's possible that I'm unknowingly plagiarizing some existing game. Let me know if I did, ok?

Note: I'll be cross-posting this on the Patience game page, just to make sure it goes to the right audience.

And now, without further ado, here are the rules for Sticheln-Solitaire:

-----------------------------------------------------

You will need a Sticheln deck with all six colours going from zero to 18 (the 19's and 20's are out).

Shuffle the cards thoroughly and deal them face down in six face down decks. These are the Start areas. You also have six Up areas, six Down areas and six End areas. Each Up area is reserved for a specific colour. In the Down area you build sequentially down regardless of colour. In the End areas you build up sequentially by colour and you can only start with a 0.

The goal of the game is to move all cards from the Start areas to the End areas. In each turn you can do one of the following:

a) turn a card from the Start areas and put it on top of the same deck;
b) transfer a face up card from the one of the Start areas to one of the Down, Up or End areas;
c) transfer a face up card from one of Down areas to one of the End or Down areas;
d) transfer a face up card from one of the Up areas to one of the Down or End areas.

Each one of these possible actions is restricted as follows:

a) turn a card from the Start areas and put it on top of the same deck
You can only do this if there is no face up card on that deck

b) transfer a face up card from the one of the Start areas to one of the Down, Up or End areas
b1) transfer from Start to End: only building sequentially and starting with a 0. This means that if the End area of a colour is empty, it can only receive a 0; if it contains the 0, it can only receive the 1 of the same colour and so on and so forth;
b2) transfer from Start to Up: once a given colour is on an Up area, only cards of that colour can go there. You don't have to put the cards in any sequence, you just have to respect the colour;
b3) transfer from Start to Down: you just have to obey the sequence, colours can be mixed and you can start with any number. That is, you can start a Down area with a yellow 12 and then put a red 11 on top of it and then a green 10, etc.

c) transfer a face up card from one of Down areas to one of the End or Down areas;
c1) transfer from Down to End: you can only pick the lowest card in a Down area and transfer it to one of the End areas, respecting the same rule stated in b1;
c2) transfer from Down to Down: you can take one card or a sequence of cards and move it to another Down area, respecting the rule stated in b3. For instance, if you have one Down area with 10-11-12-13 and another with 7-8-9-10-11, you could move the 7-8-9 of this one on top of that other Down area to make a 7-13 sequence.

d) transfer a face up card from one of the Up areas to one of the Down or End areas.
In both cases you can only pick the card on top of the Up area
d1) transfer from Up to to End: follow the rules stated in b1;
d2) transfer from Up to Down: follow the rules in b3.

End game: The game ends when all End areas have sequences from 0 to 18 in their respective colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.