Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my opponent plays a Winter Campaign card and I play a regular numbered card, am I allowed to reinforce my poor guys under attack?

Thanks for any assistance, and sorry if this has been answered before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, shake the usual winter restrictions still apply to the player who did not play the winter campaign card. In particular, under 9.0 "(2) Moving blocks may NOT attack (start a new battle)...". Moving a relief force to assist units already under seige effectively starts a new field battle with the besieger.

I suppose this is the trade off when having to play the winter campaign card last and getting only one move order- at least you can carry on a siege or supply besieging units and so maintain the siege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response! I'm more interested, though, in a situation where my blocks are sitting peaceably in a city all bundled up against the winter chill (not under siege) and my opponent uses his winter campaign card to bring blocks in to attack them, thus starting a battle. Am I allowed to reinforce the battle that my opponent started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake My answer would still be No. The winter campaign card is the exception to the rule and only benefits the player of the winter campaign card. Other units sent by player two to assist the units about to be attacked/stormed would be to commit them to a "new battle" albeit as a reserve force entering the fray in round two.

However, the user of the winter campaign card would have to be pretty confident of victory or they will lose their entire force to winter attrition if they haven't retreated to a suitably supply rated town as the winter campaign card EITHER permits normal movement and attack in the winter turn OR supplies one nominated group over the winter turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booger. That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, my usual opponent has the uncanny knack of always getting either Winter Campaign or Mud, which he has produced on the winter turn with devastating effect, leaving my guys stranded in piddly little towns with no snack bar. As a result, my forces are usually strung out pretty thin on the winter turn, leaving him to pick off a single block at will...

...but I suppose that's the point now, isn't it?

Thanks so much for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.