GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,771 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Gearworld: The Borderlands» Forums » News

Subject: Game is now on the upcoming page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just showed up on FFG's upcoming page.
I expect an announcement later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This was posted today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3935

Quote:
Fantasy Flight Games is excited to announce Gearworld: The Borderlands, a game of negotiation, conquest, and construction for two to four players! Players compete to gain the favor of the Sky People for their tribe of scavengers in a post apocalyptic landscape. Based on the classic board game Borderlands designed by Bill Eberle, Jack Kittredge and Peter Olotka, Gearworld: The Borderlands has streamlined the original rules and re-imagined the game’s setting while retaining its predecessor’s spirit and core mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Solo player that don't play solo
badge
Solo player that don't play solo
mbmbmbmbmb
Gearworld...I want you so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is this set in the same world as Sky Traders?

I don't own the game but I was curious as it mentions "Sky People".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no explicit mention of Sky Traders. Both have nice looking themes.

Anyone notice any changes from the picture or component list or description? Or who led the redesign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even saw Borderlands when it was first out. Finally, after years of waiting, I can now put this on my "to buy" list! I like the look and the new theme, and hope it plays as well as Cosmic Encounter and Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Borderlands is "thinkier" than Cosmic. There's no boxful of take-that components, and negotiation is crucial at every turn. It's a bit more chess-like, but doesn't feel that ponderous. One play of this game may have you thinking, wow, Klaus Teuber really owes those Eon guys . ;-)

One thing that surprised me is that, although it's a four-player game, it includes the optional islands and ocean-going ships (needed for 5-6 players and originally appearing in an expansion set). This may suggest that they're planning their own expansion sets (I hope so), but they didn't want the islands to be separate add-on boards as they were in the original edition.

Although, the product shot shows the islands occupied in the four-player game, so unless this was just a photo set up by someone unfamiliar with the gameplay, it could be an indication that they've tweaked the rules to use islands and ocean-going ships in all formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed that was no mistake. Even if it was just forward thinking, including territories and the ship components then saying you can't use them would be odd. Cosmic's hazard warnings would have been similar but not the same.

I only played once, and it was five of us with ships and bridges. I don't recall how the rules would have prevented us from using them in the same way with four though.

I am interested to see how they streamlined this. My group was frustrated with what they considered a confusing mess of rules concerning different types of shipments, particularly combat shipments, and I could never get it back on the table.

Glad they kept the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is great news!
I have the original game plus the expansions. It was always one of my favourites.
Whilst it would be great with 4 players (which sadly I have never experienced), it plays just fine with 2 players. Only the Trade phase tends to be obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
Is this set in the same world as Sky Traders?

I don't own the game but I was curious as it mentions "Sky People".

Don't think so. Sky Traders is a Dust game, I think, and FFG is the distributor. Borderlands was part of that Rex/Dune set of games they announced way back then.

Never played the original, this looks really pretty and interesting.

Great. Just when I thought my must have list was getting smaller...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Borderlands is "thinkier" than Cosmic. There's no boxful of take-that components, and negotiation is crucial at every turn.

Could you please tell me to what extent it is similar to Cosmic Encounter?

I love that game and its negotiations but sadly I don't know anything about Gearworld/Borderlands (although I like what I've read about it until now) and wish to understand this game's basic mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Borderlands is "thinkier" than Cosmic.

Wow! What fantastic news!

Of course I'm talking about the fact that Bill Martinson is alive and well!

The Borderlands news is quite good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borderlands is similar to Cosmic mostly in the fact that you have nonpermanent alliances for each attack where players can help either side (whether invited or not!) from neighboring territories. Though there is no inherent reward for allying here, there are plenty reasons to interfere, especially since your guys are not at risk if your side fails. You can promise to trade goods to an ally in the next phase, though the game won't force you to keep that promise.

That is pretty much it. The game was inspired by Diplomacy and has a goods and trading system that predates Settlers of Catan. It is perhaps the oddball in this design team's history as their only game I can think of with very little luck, no cards, no special powers, just a randomized starting map and one die roll each round.

Cosmic is my favorite game, that or Rex, because of the bluffing and huge amount of variability. I like Borderlands to a lesser extent, but if what you love most about Cosmic are the negotiations, you definitely want this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Borderlands is similar to Cosmic mostly in the fact that you have nonpermanent alliances for each attack where players can help either side (whether invited or not!) from neighboring territories. Though there is no inherent reward for allying here, there are plenty reasons to interfere, especially since your guys are not at risk if your side fails. You can promise to trade goods to an ally in the next phase, though the game won't force you to keep that promise.

Is it really a good thing, though? I can see it leads to bullying. Because there's no risk in interfering, people can just being a dick and interfere for the sake of screwing the other, even without promise of reward or strategical advantage to gain.

even munchkin have shared risk when you're helping the guy fighting the monster.

disclaimer: don't know anything about the borderlands. just curious because i'm very interested with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested to see more of the game. I presume FFG will be releasing a video to go along with the release at some point in the future. They have been putting a lot of those out lately. It would be nice to see one here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmb
An FFG game without any cards? Shocking.

One of my most anticipated games this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Borderlands is similar to Cosmic mostly in the fact that (...) if what you love most about Cosmic are the negotiations, you definitely want this game.

Thank you for explaining, looks like I'll have to see this game deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yontory wrote:
adamxpaul wrote:

Is it really a good thing, though? I can see it leads to bullying. Because there's no risk in interfering, people can just being a dick and interfere for the sake of screwing the other, even without promise of reward or strategical advantage to gain.

even munchkin have shared risk when you're helping the guy fighting the monster.

disclaimer: don't know anything about the borderlands. just curious because i'm very interested with this one.

If you are playing a strategy game with someone not being strategic, it might not be fun, but it sounds more a problem with the player than the game. I have been there with other games, so I know what you mean, and that is not pleasant. However, if you fail in an attack, you don't lose anything and can even try to attack elsewhere, so it is not necessarily going to ruin you.

But like Diplomacy, if you play with jerks, it won't be fun - not because you are playing a bad game, but because you are playing with jerks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yontory wrote:
adamxpaul wrote:

Bashing the leader (or anyone going forward) is a valid strategy that doesn't necessarily ruin the game.
All depends on how you play it.

I guess you haven't played Diplomacy / Game of Thrones, then?
It works wonderfully in these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reminds me of Battle Angel Alita

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mutilatedlips wrote:

Reminds me of Battle Angel Alita

Yeah, it kinda does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson Propst
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:

Between A Game of Thrones (2nd ed.) and Borderlands, which is the better game? I have GoT and am considering getting Gearworld: The Borderlands when it comes out. Do these games both scratch the same itch, and therefore would it be better to only own one of the two games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bendalf wrote:
Starkiller wrote:

Between A Game of Thrones (2nd ed.) and Borderlands, which is the better game? I have GoT and am considering getting Gearworld: The Borderlands when it comes out. Do these games both scratch the same itch, and therefore would it be better to only own one of the two games?

I see the similarities, but don't really consider them that similar. I own both aGoT and Borderlands and plan on getting Gearworld when it comes out, for whatever that info is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson Propst
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Bendalf wrote:
Starkiller wrote:

I see the similarities, but don't really consider them that similar.

This is encouraging news! I can always make room for a new game on my shelf. What are some of the main differences between the games in terms of mechanics? I heard Borderlands has a greater depth of strategy than Cosmic Encounter, but with all of the fun negotiating that comes along with CE. Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.