Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
So we recently played Snake oil in one of our meet ups among other games. I had just bought it and was recruiting players to play. I managed to get 5 people and some others did not want to try it and were reluctant of a new game that just had cards.

So we played while others watched and we had a GREAT time. Lots of laughs and the gamers really got into it. We then moved on to other games, later in the evening I had requests to play it from the previous gamers and those that initially didn't play and now they realized they should have.

So, Snake Oil is a simple game similar to other party games like Apples to Apples. It has 285 cards with words. You use two cards from your hand used to create your product, your "Snake Oil" to sell.

There are 72 customer cards. Here is where the game has a twist to make it an even better game. You must tailor your product to the specific customer (the judge in Apples to Apples). So you must sell your product to the gamer playing through the lens of their role (customer).

As an example a gamer in our group drew the Politician as a customer, Out of my six cards I had a perfect two card combination. Pleasure Corpse. I knew I had it in the bag, but I had to sell it, because, after all this is "Snake Oil".

When it came to my turn I had 30 seconds for the gamer who was a politician to choose my product. If you get into it (role play it) it increases the fun exponentially.

" All right so your a politician, what is the one thing that gets every politician in trouble?" The politician says "Scandal" I say "thats right!", "and usually at the center of all scandals is a woman, who wants money, or wants to write a tell all book, or wants you to divorce your wife, worse she keeps evidence to use against you and is quick to call Fox and CNN. So what every politician needs is (the big reveal) a Pleasure Corpse. This product is guaranteed to keep your secrets, will not nag you, or black mail you for money, the perfect product to meet you needs"

Every gamer gets a turn to be a customer and the game ends quick, and we had a great time the two games we had of it. I look forward to playing it again. I didn't win, but it is a game that creates memorable moments.

Snake Oil now is one of my favorite party type games, it is right up there with Time's Up: Title Recall, Dixit and Apples to Apples.

The best part is its from out of the box and its inexpensive. Try to get the newest version, it has great art on the box, the original one is a garish pink and green. I think the cards are the same though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ransom Christofferson
United States
Broomfield
COLORADO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmduran wrote:
So what every politician needs is (the big reveal) a Pleasure Corpse. This product is guaranteed to keep your secrets, will not nag you, or black mail you for money, the perfect product to meet you needs

This is sick. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Times up title recall and this are my favorite party games. This is usually more of an experience game than a game about winning because there's always that sense of if someone is about to win someone can just pick another answer to extend the game. I wish this had a system like the big idea for voting to score. For some reason the new version only comes with 56 customers so wht I did was took the 20 sided die from apples to apples dice and have the judge roll it and come up with who they are and the name or person must start with the letter. Even more hilarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.