19 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: 4 players game- Pass question!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kritonas K
Greece
flag msg tools
In a 4 players game, when one player passes, is it mandatory to play again after the opposing player's turn? For example, player 1 and player 3 are FP. Player 2 and Player 4 are SF. Player 1 takes his turn, player 2 takes his turn, player 3 passes, player 4 takes his turn, who plays next? Can player 1 take his turn or is it mandatory for player 3 to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is specified in the rules, but at the same time I'm not sure why the play order would bounce back to player three. After passing their turn to player four, I should imagine that the turn order remains unchanged, and after four goes, player one is now up to bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player passes, it's still his/her turn after the next player goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

OK. I do now see this line in the rules. They are entitled to take their action, but it doesn't appear as if they have to. If they do not want to, is this another pass, or can their partner now resolve an action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They must either take their action or pass again (assuming they may pass again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, entitled means that the player has the right. Not that he is obliged to. Kristofer Bengtsson where are you?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is not obligated, as he may pass again (assuming the situation allows it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
nickkat1985 wrote:
As I understand it, entitled means that the player has the right. Not that he is obliged to. Kristofer Bengtsson where are you?!

I'm right here, and have been giving all of Krieghund's answers the thumbs up as he has been delivering them.

Krieghund is as much an authority here as I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Katsoulis
Greece
Petroupoli,Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw his banner stating that he is an official WoTR answer guy! Thanks for the support, both of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kritonas wrote:
In a 4 players game, when one player passes, is it mandatory to play again after the opposing player's turn? For example, player 1 and player 3 are FP. Player 2 and Player 4 are SF. Player 1 takes his turn, player 2 takes his turn, player 3 passes, player 4 takes his turn, who plays next? Can player 1 take his turn or is it mandatory for player 3 to play?

Krieghund wrote:

So, in this example, Player 3 passes, then Player 4 takes his turn, then Player 3 takes his turn, but then whose turn is it? Player 1?

If Player 3 passes, then Player 4 takes his turn, then Player 3 passes again, whose turn is it? It can’t be Player 1, because it says it goes to the next Shadow Player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
phils@tbw.net wrote:
If Player 3 passes, then Player 4 takes his turn, then Player 3 passes again, whose turn is it? It can’t be Player 1, because it says it goes to the next Shadow Player?

It would be player 2's turn. Play always alternates between Free and Shadow players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
It would be player 2's turn.

Okay, then who goes after that? It seems like either the order has gotten completely reversed (which contradicts the previous paragraph in the rules), or player 1 has lost a die to player 3 (so it’s really potentially VERY powerful to pass).

Uthoroc wrote:
Play always alternates between Free and Shadow players.

Not always — when one side is out of dice it alternates between the players of the other side.

You know, the first edition rules say, “If a player decides to pass an action, he is still entitled to his next action after the opposing team has taken their actions,” which is slightly different from the later rules. We took that to mean play proceeds in the normal order, and if it’s the last die, player 1 can’t use it because player 3 is still entitled to use it. So Player 4 and Player 2 go and then player 3 goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phils@tbw.net wrote:
Okay, then who goes after that?

Player 3.

phils@tbw.net wrote:
It seems like either the order has gotten completely reversed (which contradicts the previous paragraph in the rules), or player 1 has lost a die to player 3 (so it’s really potentially VERY powerful to pass).

Yes, the order can become switched due to passing. That doesn't contradict the previous paragraph, but rather modifies it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So to recap:

Player 1 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 3 passes
Player 4 plays
Player 3 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 3 plays
Player 4 plays
Player 1 plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phils@tbw.net wrote:
So to recap:

Player 1 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 3 passes
Player 4 plays
Player 3 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 3 plays
Player 4 plays
Player 1 plays

No, it would be:
Player 1 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 3 passes
Player 4 plays
Player 3 plays
Player 2 plays
Player 1 plays
Player 4 plays
Player 3 plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, Veldrin, you gave thumbs up to Krieghund and GamesJart. Which one is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We both are. In your previous example (the one I responded to), player 3 passed twice. In your most recent one (the one GamesJart responded to), player 3 only passed once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
We both are. In your previous example (the one I responded to), player 3 passed twice. In your most recent one (the one GamesJart responded to), player 3 only passed once.

They both are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.