mitul bhuva
msg tools
Hi i am doing a project in graphics, and i am require to get some third party opinion on the board game that i have created, can you guys just have a look at a few pictures of the board game and tell me what you think of the graphics, objective and the overall shape of the board game, thanks for all your help

these are all the pictures:

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2015.30.50.jpg

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2015.30.59.jpg

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2015.31.52.jpg

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2015.31.44.jpg

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2015.31.29.jpg

file:///E:/graphics%20pictures%20eval/2013-02-05%2016.22.22.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try uploading them to your gallery here so we can see the files:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/641871/mitulbhuva12...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
okay thank you very much, i have added them to my gallery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitulbhuva123 wrote:
Hi i am doing a project in graphics, and i am require to get some third party opinion on the board game that i have created, can you guys just have a look at a few pictures of the board game and tell me what you think of the graphics, objective and the overall shape of the board game, thanks for all your help

these are all the pictures:

Ummmm ... another monopoly-like game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does look suspiciously Monopoly-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
Yes, it is based on the monopoly concept, but altered to suit buildings, i just would like some positive and negative comments as this was all done with limited equipment all by my self, therefore i would like some advice on how to improve it, and all the good and bad things about the overall board game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hinged box is unusual and kind of cute (although I'd worry about things falling everywhere when I opened it).

The board design seems technically okay for a homemade affair.

Why do you want to do this?

Don't copy Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a graphics project:

1. Nice box art.
2. Neat idea with a box that splits down the center. I'd would need a covered box insert though or all the components would fall out. And I suspect that it would break or fall off really easily.
3. The board doesn't work. Since the buildings go from the center of the board out they will be "hanging upside down" on the edge of the board that's closest to the player. So the player will get the wrong perspective for the buildings they see the most. Also, unlike abstract patterns (like in Monopoly), people have very definite and intuitive views of how buildings look like and which way they're oriented. This will be a problem when trying to look at the board - it will feel confusing.
4. Board colors run into each other too much. Too much blue and the lettering is hard to read.

As a game:
Copies of Monopoly don't work. At least not for this crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
there is an insert, that keep all the game pieces together, thank you all for your advice, it really helps, is there any improvements that could be made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitulbhuva123 wrote:
there is an insert, that keep all the game pieces together, thank you all for your advice, it really helps, is there any improvements that could be made?

DESIGN SOMETHING THAT ISN'T MONOPOLY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
our design brief stated, that we can design a board game in the race and chase format and use the same concept as another board game, therefore i chose to use the concept on monopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for hitting the design brief, I think you did as asked which is the important thing in an assignment.

You might want to look though the following tips to see how you might improve your construction (game board for example):

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44235/diy-tips-and-tricks

Monopoly is not respected as a game for many reasons and so the responses here reflect that to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
i wont be able to change my design now, due to the deadline of graphics submission, can you please just give me some positive opinions on my board game considering this is all manufactured by me in a classroom, and any improvements that i could personally make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your class is about game design, it's too late to help you.
If it's about visual design and fabrication, I don't have any more insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitulbhuva123 wrote:
i wont be able to change my design now, due to the deadline of graphics submission, can you please just give me some positive opinions on my board game considering this is all manufactured by me in a classroom, and any improvements that i could personally make?

It is a little hard to tell from these pictures but it looks like your text is black with a thick white outline. That is a common faux pas which actually makes your text harder to read. You would do better to have a dark box behind white text or a light box behind black text. This box can be semi-transparent to show some of the image building behind it.

Also, if you are trying to have groups of buildings/spaces like in Monopoly, then I cannot tell one group from another. Either use colors, like monopoly does, this could be the color behind the text or a colored border around the whole space.

I think your idea for the box is cute but not practical. If I was your teacher I would be looking for that amount of effort to be put in the game pieces not the box, unless this is a course in packaging design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitulbhuva123 wrote:
our design brief stated, that we can design a board game in the race and chase format and use the same concept as another board game, therefore i chose to use the concept on monopoly

I'm not sure if Monopoly qualifies as a "race and chase" format. There's a perfectly good strategy in Monopoly that involves sitting in Jail as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
okay, thanks but can you please just review my product? positive and negatives ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
considering you are new to the BGG community, I think you would get a much better response if you would have worded your post something like this:

Hello I am "Name", I am currently a High School or College Student and I am taking a class in X or majoring in X and I am currently in X class. Our assignment was to design the graphics for a board game using these requirements. "outline the requirements" whatever is stated in the design brief

Here are the links to the pictures of my assignment.

I would really appreciate any comments on X, Y and Z given the requirements of the assignment.

There are a number of professional graphic designers, game designers, game developers and publishers here as well as a few college professors, that could provide feedback, but how about providing some details up front, that way people know exactly want to comment on. this would also avoid any tangents regarding monopoly, which is really a can of worms you never want to open in the design forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitul bhuva
msg tools
Thanks for the advice, here go's

Hello I am Mitul, I am currently a High School and I am taking a class in Graphics GCSE. Our assignment was to design a board game based on a concept previously created such as monopoly, out task was to design the graphics, using CAD (Photoshop, 2D Design) and manufacture a unique board game dependent on theme, which in my case is buildings, i have tried to make my board game unique by introducing a hinge opening on triangles, but also mounting it on a base, to give a building like look. also the insert has a city skyline etched out on to it using a laser cutter.

please can you give me your opinions on the negatives but also the positives as this is all included in my evaluation on how i took advice from third party opinions, therefore the positive comments and how to improve the product is crucial

Thank you for all your help PS the pictures are on my gallery, please all have a look

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get to use a laser cutter?
That's pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one is actually helping here and instead harping on Monopoly. Just ignore them for now. Something like 75% of the BGG has a knee-jerk snob reaction to Monopoly.

Heres some insights from someone who does game illustrations and layout for games.

I like the odd side-on clamshell box cover. Neet idea. Inly seen that in novelty games and holiday boxes.

Box cover looks good. Readable and attractive.

Interior looks generic. But Im guessing you used something on hand for the insert. If its self made then that is actually a pretty good effort and recreates the simple efficiency of many inserts. Keep it simple and easy to get things in and out of.

Board looks ok. Little too many folds maybee. but may have been required to fit the box so thats acceptible. The 2nd ed Risk 2110 did the same.

On the board layout. It woulf be advised to have the spaces around the board facing outwards to the edge. Not inwards to the center. Looks neet. But to a player at the table it will feel like their side is upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tate
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey I got a couple ideas. First is to change the lettering if you can as it is hard to read from my perspective. Could you change Mt. Rushmore and Stonehenge? I wouldn't consider them buildings. Also the box hinge is cool but you said it was a way to make your game unique. It doesn't. It make's your game's box unique, but not the game itself. I'd recommend getting some chipboard or thicker paper as the board looks a little wobbly.

And I'm sorry you're getting such hate. It's kinda like you walked into a Black Panther's meeting as a white guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitulbhuva123 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, here go's

Hello I am Mitul, I am currently a High School and I am taking a class in Graphics GCSE. Our assignment was to design a board game based on a concept previously created such as monopoly, out task was to design the graphics, using CAD (Photoshop, 2D Design) and manufacture a unique board game dependent on theme, which in my case is buildings, i have tried to make my board game unique by introducing a hinge opening on triangles, but also mounting it on a base, to give a building like look. also the insert has a city skyline etched out on to it using a laser cutter.

please can you give me your opinions on the negatives but also the positives as this is all included in my evaluation on how i took advice from third party opinions, therefore the positive comments and how to improve the product is crucial

Thank you for all your help PS the pictures are on my gallery, please all have a look

Thanks

I like the box idea with the hinge... might even prove to be a better way of storing games. But in terms of production costs, it might be prohibitive.

I actually do like the box art and the way you put those images together... assuming that's what you did. I'm somewhat surprised you didn't re-use it as the centerpiece to the board.

Speaking of which, if the board art/graphics were done in a similar style to the box art, I would feel that the box and the board belong together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.