David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolutions from 2005:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Resolutions for 2006:

I will try to choose games I haven't played yet rather than those I've played a lot and enjoyed.. This will help me cull my collection.

I will play less this year. I have a lot of things to do and I'm turning 40 in a few months and I feel time is slipping through my fingers in every area of my life. Gotta get off my butt & do a few things.

I will buy fewer games this year. I already have 4 games in mind that I definitely want this year, but maybe 1 or 2 of them (El Grande and Union Pacific) will be released late enough that I can just wait til next year. The others are Bonaparte at Marengo and the 4th Age of Steam board (just so I have it in case they are hard to find later, as I haven't even played the base game yet). I'll also probably pick up any games I find at huge discounts, like the Barnes & Noble post-Christmas 75%-off sale. Or have they quit that? I stopped a couple of days ago and there's no sale yet...and the selection is smaller than years past.

I will get rid of more games this year. I did manage to cull a few from my shelves last year, but they mostly just went to my "sell" stacks. Now I just need to get rid of the stacks.

And I think I'll REALLY lose the rest of this extra weight this year. I'm mad about it and gonna get mean with myself! As a matter of fact, this forum entry just took time I should have been exercising! Seeya! : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I will try to choose games I haven't played yet rather than those I've played a lot and enjoyed.

I will try to choose games to play with my family that they have played before, and not constantly bombard them with new ones. This does not include my son, he loves new games even more than I do.

Quote:
I will play less this year. I have a lot of things to do and I'm turning 40 in a few months and I feel time is slipping through my fingers in every area of my life. Gotta get off my butt & do a few things.

I will play more this year. I'm turning 40 in a few months and my primary responsibility is to be a good father to my boy. People have a lot of things they want me to do, but I really don't care. Gotta sit on my butt and do what *I* want.[/q]

Quote:
I will buy fewer games this year.

I will buy fewer games this year. I hope. I will buy fewer games from local games shops which aren't friendly. I will buy where the customer service is best. I will clean up the study, now that my brother-in-law has removed all his junk from my spare garage. I would like to have all of the games on the bookshelves, but I don't know how much my wife will agree with that idea, as the books that I want to remove belonged to her mother.

Quote:
I will get rid of more games this year.

I will continue to ponder the concept. I have one game up for trade, but I'm not optimistic anyone will want it. I have some games that I have no prospect of playing, but I might have grandkids within 20 years.

Quote:
And I think I'll REALLY lose the rest of this extra weight this year.

I'll at least try to stay only as fat as I already am. I promise David, every time you come over to my place we will go bike-riding together. I'm *that* serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there where we all pile in? I'll do the format of "my version" of david's resolutions, but I'll drop that ones that don't much apply.

davidme wrote:
I will play about the same this year. I think I've got a good balance going!

davidme wrote:
I will buy fewer games this year.
I will buy fewer games for myself, more games for my children this year. Last year I bought 8 for me, and 4 for my daughter. The 8 seemed about right for starting a collection, but now I have most of what I need, so I hope to buy only about 4 for me this year (my top picks are Through the Desert and Power Grid), and 4 to 8 for my daughters (my current top picks are Enchanted Forest and Viva Topo for the 3 year old, and hopefully the 9 month old will be old enough for "Go Away Monster!" by the end of 2006).

Quote:
And I think I'll REALLY lose the rest of this extra weight this year. I'm mad about it and gonna get mean with myself! As a matter of fact, this forum entry just took time I should have been exercising! Seeya! : )
I'll try to miss fewer runs and hit the gym at least as much. A long stretch goal is reconnecting with my old running club, but things will have to come together amazingly for me to find the time to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
I will buy fewer games from local games shops which aren't friendly.

Good idea!

Quote:
I would like to have all of the games on the bookshelves, but I don't know how much my wife will agree with that idea, as the books that I want to remove belonged to her mother.

Good luck. Maybe tell her you're thinking of adding a wing or converting the garage or something big like that first. Then maybe "moving Mom's books" won't sound so bad. Or ignore this, as I'm still single...what do I know.

Quote:
I'll at least try to stay only as fat as I already am. I promise David, every time you come over to my place we will go bike-riding together. I'm *that* serious.

Swimming is good exercise too, but that's too far to swim especially while holding onto a bicycle!

Good luck with your resoutions, John & William!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
According to your profile you have 577 games.... now that is too much.

Please forward as many as possible to the Home for Naughty Boardgames (I will email the address as soon as possible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bunch of those are public domain games I want to play. Actual collection at last count is "over 400". Been a while since I did inventory & updated the database though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll help you out, Dave.

For every 10lbs you drop, I'll buy you $10 worth of game, up to $40 (Bonaparte at Marengo). The Age of Steam board is around $20, looking at the online sites (so lose 20lbs, and it's yours).

If you're not looking to drop 40lbs, then we can lower the numbers a bit

And you can save up for your next trip to a con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the forty bucks, Greg! : )

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get this in my Inbox as a Forum Post Notification.

I have little doubt that I'll lose my 70 pounds. So to me it's like you just gave me $40. Last year I said it was my 'goal' to lose 80 and lost 10. This year I'm saying I'm 'going to' lose the rest of it, not just a goal...gonna do it! So if you want to back out on your offer (which I feel a little guilty accepting), please do so!

But if you want to make a friendly wager, I'll bet $40 worth of games that I'll lose 40 pounds before any con after May. But this isn't really a gamble, because I'm going to do it. So save your money. : ) Hahah!

Which cons you going to this year? Origins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we'll change it to a bet then!

Lose 40lbs by June. I accept your terms.

If I don't end up going to France for the summer, then I'm going to try for Origins. It's certainly the closest to me. Otherwise, I've no idea which con(s), but I want to make it to at least one. I just had too much fun at Dragon*Con last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
*cough* BGG.CON *cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, Greg, it's on then. You want my address now or later for that Bonaparte at Marengo package? : )

Ah, we'd better just wait. Maybe some Act of God will interfere with things. Other than that, I'm doin' it.

Hope to make Origins, DragonCon, GenCon, and if air tix are within my budget, BGG.CON.

Thanks a lot Greg for this motivational device. It's just the sort that really affects me. I'll have to remember to "pass it forward" to someone else that needs it someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is a month later.

Lost 18 lbs. Down to 248.

Next month is supposed to be tougher. The first 10-15 are easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, David, could you post your updates in metric as well please, so Aussies can be impressed without having to get out the calculator? All the progress I've made is (a) played squash once, and didn't die, and (b) got pushbike to the repair shop so it's nice to ride again. I've got a 30K (18 mile) ride in March, so I need to get in a little bit of shape for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure:

Weight Jan. 1: 120.66 kg
Weight Feb 1: 112.49 kg

Lost since Jan 1: 8.17 kg

I lift dumbbells twice a week... enough times so far that I don't totally ache the next day. I run jog slowly three times a week. I use Gymamerica, a decent online 'trainer', though it's not updated and has no support anymore. And it costs a little bit.

For food, I'm using variations of the 1800 calorie plan here (scroll down):

https://opal.ballyfitness.com/rapid_results/weight_managemen...

It's for those whose ideal weight is about 180 lbs., I think.

I've eaten about 25 salads (50/50 baby spinach/spring mix bags) with lowfat dressing. I've also had lots of yogurt (with granola), fresh fruits, tuna, and chicken.

When I have a strong craving for something fatty or sweet, I just get myself a spoonful of ice cream or something small. I learned in 2004 (doing Atkins) that cravings can kill a plan, though I know I may have to suffer through cravings towards the end if I'm going to get to my "ideal" weight. Dunno what I'll do then.

I know I can keep this "fitness mindset" at least through the year, but I have eleven months to find a way to keep the focus indefinitely...that's going to be the tough part. A year is nothing. A flash. Any advice on maintaining the mindset past a year would be appreciated.

I'd like to own a bicycle again. So many other things to spend on first though.

I've never played squash and it's been about 16 years since I've played racquetball. When I get in better shape, I may try tennis. I'm even thinking of a local 10K run in about 7 or 8 months.

Good luck with your 30K ride, John!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to keep the weight off I would recommend lowering your rate of weight loss significantly. Google for rate of weigh loss and you will find many confirming recommendations with rationale.

Cutting it to a pound a week, a pound and half max, will still lose you between 50 and 75lbs by the time for new resolutions come up. Weight loss at that steady moderate pace will naturally incorporate the changes in life style needed to keep the weight off. The key is avoiding slowing down your metabolism which you risk at the rate you are shedding weight - which is is over 4lb a week to date.

Great commitment BTW but just questionable strategy. Good luck!

(I have 20lbs/9 kg to lose too this year - hopefully just upping the exercise and reducing the beer and take-away consumption!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope it works for you. There's no way dieting is ever going to be any part of my plan. At the very most, I'll attempt to eat more sensibly. My body is a temple, and baby spinach is against its religion. When I was cycling enthusiastically last year, I lost 4kg and rode much further than I thought I was able to. This year I might get a wagon to carry my dog in behind the bike - then I can get fit, take the dog out, AND become known in the neighbourhood as that weird fat guy with the dog in the trailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Nick, I realize that, but I'd heard it was about 2 to 3 pounds a week. I figure that's for the average person, maybe even the average gal, so I figured at my size maybe I could get away with 3 or 4 pounds.

Okay, I've Googled now. Most of the sites at the top of the search do say 1 to 2 pounds. Some lower say 2 to 3 and one even said 2 to 4. Here's what a government site says:

"Slow and steady weight loss of about ¾ to 2 pounds per week and not more than 3 pounds per week (weight loss may be faster at the start of a program)"

My 4 pounds so far isn't a problem, I think, because it's at the start and I had gained 10 in the month and a half just prior to the new year.

Plus it should all be based on percentage of current body weight. I can find no site that does that [except one recommending no more than 1.7 to avoid a 1000 percent increase in gallstone formation, but my gall bladder is gone, so that's not a problem].

So I'll try to go with 3-pound max that the government site recommends unless I can find a percentage to work with. Thanks for reminding me. It does seem rather strange that I have to overeat or eat junk food occassionally to do this right. I'll go out for 10 BW3 chicken wings tonight on top of my normal meals. (where's that lip-licking emoticon?) : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Heh. Reminds me of DragonCon one year. Downtown Atlanta, my roomie took a little read wagon to carry his game stuff between hotels & such.

Have you tried fresh baby spinach with dressing and a can of tuna? I was hungry one day last week and it was like ambrosia. The main thing that has kept me from eating right in the past is convenience. As I've gotten older, the addiction to fats & sweets is stronger, but I still like healthful food too. I even liked cooked spinach when I was a kid...but didn't like chocolate chip cookies. Yeah, I was a strange kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep us updated, Dave. And I am going to be in France for the summer, so I'll miss Origins (but I'm seriously aiming for BGG.con instead of Dragon*Con). I'll have net access in France, so I'll be watchin'. Though it looks like you'll have it easily at the current rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dave so far...

I have a fitness related New Years resolution as well.

I would like to take about 10lbs off, but really just having a more fit body is my primary concern so I'm not dieting... just exercising.

I've never been an exerciser before so this has been a pretty big deal for me, but I finaly found something that works.

It is an X-box program called "Yourself Fitness". It really keeps me motivated to work out, and I don't waste time driving to a gym.

So far I've been doing really well with it. Although I still can't do the push-ups when Maya (the virtual trainer) wants me to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[My forum notices aren't getting to me consistently. Just saw these last two responses.]

'Grats on the France trip, Greg! Will you be there long?

G' luck on the goal, Mel! I may check out that program. I picked up a used X-box a few months ago...my first console since Atari 2600. Still haven't hooked it up. Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
[My forum notices aren't getting to me consistently. Just saw these last two responses.]

I understand that... That happens to me on occasion too. Not sure what the cause is, but it is anoying to come back and see that you missed a whole bunch of posts.

--

As for the program. It is a really cool program, it is kind of like a work out video but interactive. It gives you a fitness test ever 10 work outs so it keeps track of your progress and suggest what you need to work on more. The best part is that each work out is different, and Maya ask you how each section of the work out is. So unlike a regular work out video if it is too hard, tough go pay more money for an easier work out... Maya will actually make the next work out a little easier in that area... or visa versa.. if it was too easy she'll make it harder next time. So your constantly challenging your self and never getting bored. You can check out a demo at www.yourselffitness.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current weight: 239 lbs. (108.41 kg)
Lost since Jan. 1: 28 lbs. (12.70 kg)

I got sick with flu-like symptoms this month and it took about 2/3 of the month to get over the coughing. I hovered at 244 lbs. during that time by not running and lifting less regularly. I had a big bowl of butter pecan ice cream slathered in caramel sauce...that and a buffet at an Indian restaurant were my two biggest calorie-splurges. (I had sworn off buffets for this year, but it slipped my mind until I had already dived into the chicken curry.)

I decided this month that my methods I'd stated above last month don't really matter. I'll keep doing them, but any simple, sensible plan can work if someone has made up their mind to do something like this. I had read nutrition books in the past and knew to avoid gimmick diets, but I didn't do a lot of research to find the perfect plan. Just googled and chose. It's 20% knowledge and 80% decision to do it and paying attention.

How's things going for the rest of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current weight: 233 lbs. (105.69 kg)
Lost since beginning of last month: 6 lbs. (2.72 kg)
Lost since Jan. 1: 34 lbs. (15.42 kg)

I was hoping to lose at least 8 lbs this month, but it didn't work out. I snacked here and there a bit more than necessary, but the main thing that caused it was possibly an injury. I had a bad ache in my lower right leg for the first two weeks possibly caused by a change at work where I have to stand on concrete for a few hours a day...that and all my running the hilly fitness course I was going to.

I've since healed, gotten used to the concrete, started running at the gym on a treadmill, and am going 6 days a week instead of 4 until I "catch up" with the point I should be at in my exercise plans. I should be there by the end of this month barring any more injuries or illnesses.

To celebrate my failure (actually to remind myself that the failure was just a temporary setback), I pigged out yesterday at Cracker Barrell. It was the most I've eaten at one time since December. I felt awful afterwards, not at all from guilt, but from the uncomfortable feeling of being overstuffed. The food TASTED great, but it didn't feel so good after it settled. I remember feeling that way, like I had a large lump in my stomach, before I started this fitness kick, but the discomfort was worse now that I've gotten used to eating more reasonable quantities. Hopefully I remember this next time I'm finding excuses to feast too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current weight: 228 lbs. (103.42 kg)
Lost since beginning of last month: 5 lbs. (2.27 kg)
Lost since Jan. 1: 39 lbs. (17.69 kg)

I've pretty much caught up with my exercise schedule (I'm within 2 days of where I should be). I probably exercised more this past month than any other month in my life.

I've gotten used to snacking just a bit outside the plan nearly every day. That will have to stop if the rate I'm losing drops much more. I wouldn't mind if the rate were to drop to 4 lbs. per month (as Nick West suggested above should happen), but if the rate drops any more than that, then I'll have to adopt new strategies. Four lbs. per month would put me at -75 lbs. for the year, which is five lbs. better than my resolution.

I've developed a habit of thinking at the first of the month, "Ah, I have a full month to make up for it, so I'll just have a bit of THIS today!" (Today THIS was a box of Reese's Pieces and four little rafaellos (coconut almond candies.) Yum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.