Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is headed to China for a couple months. Is it possible for her to buy copies of all those games printed in China so inexpensively that the cost to ship them to me still makes the approach viable?

Would love to have her stuff her suitcase with games to bring back, but no space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about unlicensed copies (not judging, just asking) or legitimate copies of games that are printed for European or US publishers?

If the latter, I don't think they set aside a few to sell in China at cheap prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
Are you talking about unlicensed copies (not judging, just asking) or legitimate copies of games that are printed for European or US publishers?

If the latter, I don't think they set aside a few to sell in China at cheap prices.

Was asking about legit copies. Hmmmm. I guess if I think it through a bit more, why would there be English copies sold in China.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Make sure she doesn't fall for one of those Chinese knock-offs, like "Power Grin" or "Oprah et Labora".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Make sure she doesn't fall for one of those Chinese knock-offs, like "Power Grin" or "Oprah et Labora".

Those sound awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find it difficult to find legit copies of non-Chinese games in any language in China, actually. Does any foreign company even sell games there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd ask her to get a Timber Tom knock-off while she is there. That Win-Go Games banner ad shows a picture of Timber Tom by some other name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanders
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in China is she going, cos if she's going to Shanghai, well, you can buy anything in Shanghai.

I love Shanghai for shopping.

Or if she makes it to HK, that's pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opposing to the ideas of many, there are legit copies of board games sold in China. Simply because there are Chinese players. And every Chinese do have at least 6 years of English class from 7th grade and may continue to learn it in College. Though the English eduction is not very good, if the English is not very heavy in a game (as in Tales of the Arabian Nights), then, many people can handle it. Besides, there are fans doing a lot of translation. So usually language is not a big issue.

With that being said, you'll have very limited choices if you want to find a cheaper copy in China. The reason is simple, board games are still a little bit expensive for average Chinese. So the population in this hobby is quite limited. Publishing companies in China only started to appear in last 2 years. So not many games are directly published in China. For most boardgames in Chinese market, they are actually printed in China, shipped to US and imported to China in retail price again for sale. So you can imagine what the price is like for those games. As the market is still small in China, the retail price for the games directly published in China is also high. So the price is usually not competitive when compared to the on-line stores in US.

So maybe visit China later for board game shopping. As the economy develops, the market expands every year. I always imagine that when China have an economy good enough, there may be 4 times more players worldwide than now. The price will probably drop worldwide due to the lower unit cost and the number of game will raise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer finds wonderful brand-name electronics like Panaphonics, Sorny, and Magnetbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:

Is it a bad thing that I am tempted to search e-bay for Super Transformable Tomas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfchild wrote:
Where in China is she going, cos if she's going to Shanghai, well, you can buy anything in Shanghai.

I love Shanghai for shopping.

Or if she makes it to HK, that's pretty good too.

Actually it is Shanghai!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
My daughter is headed to China for a couple months. Is it possible for her to buy copies of all those games printed in China so inexpensively that the cost to ship them to me still makes the approach viable?

No, unless they're pirate copies. You really want to support that market?

Taobao search for Ticket to Ride prices. Note how they're all over the place. The cheap copies are pirated, the expensive ones not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
robigo wrote:

Is it a bad thing that I am tempted to search e-bay for Super Transformable Tomas?

I want one of those Hillbilly Spidermen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.