Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 329 - Fast & Furious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the 329th Play-By-Forum Battlestar Galactica game. It will follow the format established by ColtsFan76. It is a 5-player, European timezone, base game, heading for Kobol. It is a rematch for the crew of BSG 324, which ended so quickly that I felt they deserved one.

Players

This game is by invitation only. The waiting list is being maintained at the BSG PBF Wiki.

The crew consists of:
Kajo
Hertzog
rmsgrey
Sudenlumi
jhatzi99

Rule changes

None.

Playing notes

The regulations of the game are pretty much as in all the other threads. If this is your first BSG PBF game, please read through at least one of the previous games to get a feeling for how it is done.

Some particular notes for those taking part (you can find more notes and tips on nbergom's geeklist Tips and Tricks of BSG PBF):

1) Subscribe to this thread.

2) Please, login at least once a day, preferably more. As this is a European game, you might expect most players to have some time in the evenings. Logging on at least twice in the evening would probably do a lot to keep the game moving. Note that I have a 24-hour rule in place: when it is your turn to act, I expect you to respond within 24 hours; if not, then I am going to take measures, which may lead to seeking a replacement if your absence was unannounced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

3) All players must have their own copies of the game as I am only going to publish card titles (this is an FFG request).

4) Private communication will be by geekmail between me and particular players, all other communication will be by posting in this thread. Please start your geekmail subject line with "BSG 329" and your character name.

5) To speed up the game, please use Conditional Orders (i.e., geekmail me what you will do if certain circumstances arise). CO's are particularly useful for interrupts. Please read the section "Standard Conditional Orders" below for more information on this. Note that I prefer not to get "public CO's" until all Cylons are known.

6) Please use the following posting conventions:
* Normal text for discussions.
* Italics for flavor texts.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread or I receive them by geekmail.

7) Please, make clear in each post who your character is by posting a banner at the top of your post. Great banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here (use the "medium" option to display them). If you find using a banner is too much of a hassle (or you are on your phone), at least list your character name (preferably in bold) at the top of your post.

8) For flavor, a useful selection of character pictures is hosted on this geeklist by GerryRailBaron, though by all means provide your own if you wish. Easy, quick links to the items on Gerry's geeklist are provided here.

9) Please do not post any (big) spoilers for the television series in the thread.

Standard Conditional Orders

To keep the game flowing at a reasonable speed, I am going to assume that the following standard conditional orders are in place:

- No player will use Strategic Planning or Evasive Maneuvers (or Calculations in a Pegasus game) to help the Cylon cause.
- No player will use a Strategic Planning on a scouting roll, unless there are two or fewer raptors available.
- If a scout is launched without mention of which deck to scout, the target will be the Crisis Deck.
- Evasive Maneuvers will be used to save a viper from damage or destruction: (a) when the viper gets destroyed; (b) when the viper is manned; (c) when it is the last viper that protects a civilian in a sector; (d) when there are two or fewer undamaged vipers left. No EM will played in other cases. In general, I will automatically play the lowest-valued EM, giving preference to cards from the pilot of a viper that gets damaged. If there is still a choice, I will choose the one closest in playing order to the current player.
- If a check is failed by 1 or 2, Declare Emergency will not be played unless an explicit CO is given to that effect (note that you can give me a general CO that you want to use DEs on skill checks to save them).
- No player will use his OPG before the sleeper-agent phase has hit.
- Adama will not use his OPG, unless he announces (by GM or in the thread) that he wants to decide on it after the current skill check.
- Chief will not use his OPG, unless he announces (by GM or in the thread) that he wants to decide on it at the end of the current skill check.
- Starbuck will not use her OPG on a crisis; however, I will wait for a decision on her OPG if (a) it is after the sleeper-agent phase; and (b) the crisis is an assault and the jump track is in the red, or it is a crisis that might cost humanity the game. Any further crises that she wants me to wait on, she has to let me know by GM.
- Helo will not use his OPG; however, I will wait for a decision on his OPG if (a) it is after the sleeper-agent phase; and (b) the decision on a crisis is made by a revealed or soft-revealed Cylon.
- Helo will use his ECO ability to reroll a die that harms humanity.

All these conditional orders hold for all players, whether they are human or hidden Cylon. However, as soon as someone has clearly soft-revealed as a Cylon, I will no longer hold them to these CO's. But you best let me know explicitly by GM that you no longer want to follow them, as we might not agree on what "soft-revealing" means. Of course, if you want to stick to completely different CO's altogether, just give them to me.

As for OPGs, as you can see from the CO's above I will not wait for them unless I have a reason to. That reason might be that someone brings it up in the thread. So, if one player wants another to consider using their OPG, they don't have to hope that the other player will give a timely command to that effect: they can simply announce in the thread (or even by GM) that they want that other player to consider using their OPG, and I will then halt the game at the appropriate time.

Acknowledgments

My thanks to Orphius, whose spreadsheets I am using to mod this game.

My previously moderated games are:
BSG 101 - Mockingbird
BSG 123 - Blue Dragon
BSG 146 - Wake Up and Smell the Tylium
BSG 153 - Idus Martii
BSG 180 - Bull's Eye
BSG 192 - Cylon Breakfast
BSG 205 - Astro Farm
BSG 222 - Tea For Two
BSG 240 - Two For Tea
BSG 249 - Battlestar Lollipop
BSG 273 - Absolute Zero
BSG 287 - Cylons in the Library
BSG 293 - Battlestar Evangelista
BSG 309 - Special Occasion
BSG 321 - Countdown
BSG 324 - Not Fade Away

As for the title of this game: It is a reference to our previous game, that was very fast and ended in a flurry of destruction.

Which reminds me of the following joke: "Our tryst was a fast and furious affair. I was fast and she was furious."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll roll for player order again. I may go in reverse order if that places Sudenlumi and Hertzog a bit earlier in player order.

rmsgrey 1d100 = (59) = 59
jhatzi99 1d100 = (64) = 64
Kajo 1d100 = (47) = 47
Sudenlumi 1d100 = (60) = 60
Hertzog 1d100 = (56) = 56

Okay, fairest order seems to be reverse:

Kajo
Hertzog
rmsgrey
Sudenlumi
jhatzi99

Kajo, you are up first to select a character. Take your time. I am going to watch an episode of Sherlock now anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 266470. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (59) =
  • rmsgrey
  • Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:36 pm
  • [+]
  • 266471. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (64) =
  • jhatzi99
  • [+]
  • 266473. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (47) =
  • Kajo
  • [+]
  • 266474. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (60) =
  • Sudenlumi
  • [+]
  • 266476. Flyboy Connor
  • 1d100 =
  • (56) =
  • Hertzog
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having drawn the highest number I choose Roslin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argh! i wanted to choose her :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kajo wrote:
argh! i wanted to choose her :/

Hey, we are going in reverse order. You can choose her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hertzog van Heerden
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it Kajo to choose first?

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

People of the colonies! I had a dream where our military forces were wiped out by the cylon armada... let's hope it was only a dream, and not a premonition.

I choose a political leader, Roslin

EDIT: how i make the banner bigger?

EDIT2: got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hertzog van Heerden
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb

I will choose Helo, and my starting hand:

1 x Leadership, 1 x Tactics, 1 x Piloting

Seems like I'm late to the party, again. At least I'll make a grand entrance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhatzi99 wrote:
Having drawn the highest number I choose Roslin.

I was just messing with our game master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

rmsgrey, you're up. A pilot or the Chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just spent the last couple of hours reinstalling Windows (with hours more before things are back to spec) the last thing I want to do is make a decision, so I'll leave it in the hands of the roller once more:

I am: 1custom4{Apollo;Starbuck;Boomer;Chief} -> ( Starbuck) -> ( Starbuck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 266791. rmsgrey
  • 1custom4{Apollo;Starbuck;Boomer;Chief} =
  • ( Starbuck) =
  • ( Starbuck)
  • I am:
  • Fri Feb 8, 2013 10:34 pm
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sudenlumi, any of the remaining characters is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a trustworthy admiral, Saul Tigh. Starting draw: 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jhatzi99, any of the remaining characters but Adama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will humbly serve humanity as Chief

Initial draw: 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Engineering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That was my guess.

I will send out loyalty cards now, and I need Starbuck's initial draw.

EDIT: Loyalties have been sent out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kajo wrote:

People of the colonies! I had a dream where our military forces were wiped out by the cylon armada... let's hope it was only a dream, and not a premonition.

It's my duty to inform you, ma'am, that it was not a dream. Bill Adama took the other half of the fleet in a desperate attempt to shield our half's escape. Only it turns out it was not the Bill Adama I knew, but a cylon imposter. Dr. Baltar, Lee Adama and other renowned citizens are among those lost. Good news is, though, that the terrorist Zarek was also killed.

We can only hope that their sacrifice was not in vain.

*to self* A dream? Is that woman entirely sane? I must keep an eye on her... if she shows more symptoms like these, I will do what I have to do. And Starbuck... where do I even start. I'll call the Master-at-Arms to check that the brig is entirely functional. Every single cell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starbuck

Apologies for the delay - I'm still reinstalling things, so am still recovering access to all my usual tools and data.

I'll start with Leadership, Tactics, and Piloting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll check my cards first, but i think my first action will be quorum-related
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Turn 1.1 - Roslin

Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Draw: 3 Politics, 2 Leadership

President Roslin, please post your move and action when you are ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would appreciate an XO to launch myself and turn on my OPT (probably move to 4 and scout destination with the intention of using an XO on my turn)

Edit: banners sorted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Speaking of scouting destinations, there are a couple of ways to go - we can aggressively bury anything that isn't great, or we could just keep anything that's better than average...

Edit: anyone got any thoughts to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I already scout the crisis before the end of my turn, so you could scout destinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Takala
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
Silk for Calde!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

Speaking of scouting destinations, there are a couple of ways to go - we can aggressively bury anything that isn't great, or we could just keep anything that's better than average...

I think Icy Moon and Barren Planet are definitely bury-able. And Ragnar Anchorage may go as well. To me, Desolate Moon is acceptable, as long as we have the fuel. What about Tylium Planet? Emptying it once guarantees very good fuel reserve, so I think that is a keeper.

So, between the options you give, it seems I go for keeping anything that's better than average.

BTW, it is nice to see Chief's face. He's the character I played in my first PBF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Chatzigiannelis
Greece
Ag. Paraskevi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rmsgrey wrote:

Edit: anyone got any thoughts to share?

I agree on Mdme President XOing you so that you have an extra action.
Concerning the crisis scouting, I suggest we keep for the moment anything that's better than average as long as we are not in a difficult position. (and also to see if we have any skinjob on board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.