Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night I had a five-player game of Hunting Party, so we tried a new variant for dealing out the prophecy cards. Each player was dealt one card and the four leftovers were set aside to be given to players during play. Once someone made an unthwarted hunt they'd get a prophecy card until they were all in play.

It wasn't a disaster but I wouldn't recommend it to others, unless they're experienced players wanting variety. Five cards in play is still enough to thwart most hunts, so it was a while until we could bring the other cards into play. The first player to get new prophecy cards is in a good position to get the others, so he runs away with the game (putting a constraint on that--say one card per player--would stretch out the game longer than these players were willing to put up with). With one card each it's very easy to figure out which card everybody has, so you quickly wind up with most cards known to everyone and a handful totally unknown. So it was frustrating. Still fun, but not as good as a regular game of Hunting Party.

Sharing hands between players still feels wrong for the more competitive for us. In a four-player game we'd just taken two cards each and left the 9th visible to everyone, that might be the best option. In my next five or six player game I think I'll just give each player one or two cards, possibly balanced by requiring the two-card holders to thwart first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.