Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Twigg
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi - Just a quick question...

The rules in the English edition state that "all characters on your starting line have direct access to the first two rooms adjacent to the starting line". Let's say that, for whatever reason, only one of the two rooms adjacent to my starting line has been revealed, and there's only one character left on the line (the other 3 have all moved into the room that has been revealed). The remaining starting line character is at one end of the line, and the un-revealed room is the one adjacent to the other end. Does the starting line character have to move to a spot on the line that's touching the face down room to be able to reveal it, if he feels like it? That would be consistent with the normal rules for revealing rooms, but doesn't really match what the quoted rule says.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason why this situation would come up, as you'd think that revealing the two rooms next to your line would be your first priority. But I wanted to know if anyone knew how to interpret this rule, just in case.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiggan wrote:
Does the starting line character have to move to a spot on the line that's touching the face down room to be able to reveal it, if he feels like it?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiggan wrote:
Hi - Just a quick question...

The rules in the English edition state that "all characters on your starting line have direct access to the first two rooms adjacent to the starting line". Let's say that, for whatever reason, only one of the two rooms adjacent to my starting line has been revealed, and there's only one character left on the line (the other 3 have all moved into the room that has been revealed). The remaining starting line character is at one end of the line, and the un-revealed room is the one adjacent to the other end. Does the starting line character have to move to a spot on the line that's touching the face down room to be able to reveal it, if he feels like it? That would be consistent with the normal rules for revealing rooms, but doesn't really match what the quoted rule says.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason why this situation would come up, as you'd think that revealing the two rooms next to your line would be your first priority. But I wanted to know if anyone knew how to interpret this rule, just in case.

Thanks!

Actually, this is a good question - characters can only see the rooms directly in front of them, even on the starting line. If the wording is unclear, it's my fault.

As to revealing the rooms - I tend to only reveal one room on my starting line until the last minute. This is because, when placing face-down tokens, I tend to place only in one of the rooms adjacent to my starting line. That forces my opponent to place in the other room. By not revealing this room, I am potentially depriving my opponent of two characters. Even if my opponent places only items in that room, I've still forced them to only one route to my starting line - unless they are willing to spend that extra Action necessary to reveal the room.

If they HAVE placed characters in the room, then I just need to leave one character near it so that I can reveal it when they get close - that way, I can place their character(s) in the most disadvantageous position possible.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Twigg
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I guess maybe there IS a reason to leave one room un-revealed. I actually haven't gotten to play the game yet, last night was going to be the first time, but we immediately got hung-up on this rule and just decided to play something else for the time being.

Again, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.