Subject: Simplified variants for younger players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Skink
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
had a search but cant find threads on this. Looking for Ticket to Ride variants that play nicely for younger players

Our 7yo can handle standard TtR Europe well enough, but she never comes close to winning (in our house we dont do 'let her win', winning is earnt)

Anyhow, we have tried playing with no route cards - you just build coloured routes as usual and get points for the length of that route as normal

It seems ok but I wonder if there are better ways? Could a dice add some interest somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art C

Beaverton
Or
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open hand on the tickets worked well with my son. He was able to see where we were going and had a ball blocking us. Needless to say they were low scoring games but we had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While not local, the US 1910 map/cards might be more to her speed. Our kid started playing about then and the combination of longest route, globetrotter, and the short routes that were possible made it a bit friendlier to learn. She does okay with other maps now, but I can see that they would have been quite a bit more challenging with the ferries, tunnels, and stations thrown into the mix.

If you're up to it, there are some decent print/play maps that could work as well. I know there's a geeklist around them somewhere that keeps track of them and discusses them. We currently live in TX so printed up the Texas map for play (and found that it's a tight game). However, there are some other interesting variant maps that you might be able to print up and try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You can simplify it by ignoring the special rules for tunnels and double routes. Maybe cut it down to one long route and one short each, winner gets both theirs first - I tried playing for just the long route but one person would just win more easily than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason A. Subers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice expansion actually does simplify things a bit by removing card collecting altogether. Makes the game much more random, and a whole lot faster, but might be good in combination with open routes like was already suggested?

But most of the other expansion maps I'm aware of attempt to add complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked through my tagged threads for variants, and this is probably the best youngster-and-TtR thread I've seen over the years:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/353789/playing-ttr-with-...

It's a meta-thread, where the OP combines multiple threads about playing TtR with youngsters from 3-8 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.