Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the market to buy some chipboard for my Advanced Civ project and was wondering which is best to use. I can get 25 sheets of 12"x12" that are about 1.5mm thick in a variety of colors for a good price. I can also go to one of the local art/stationery stores and see if they have picture matting sheets for a similar price.

Opinions? I plan to use an arch punch (shopping for one now) to cut out all the round bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
Opinions? I plan to use an arch punch (shopping for one now) to cut out all the round bits.

Not on the chipboard front, but stay away from the budget arches you might find on Amazon (usually a set of 4 or more for $20 or less). I got a set to try out and they did a horrible job on paper products (advertised for leather & metal). There are a few threads full of arch punch discussions - stick to those that others have tested out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to get the good arch punches; I figure the 2 I need will run me around $40+ but since I'll be able to use them on other projects it's a good investment...plus you can never have enough tools.

I think I'm going to try to find picture matting; I know Aaron Bros. used to sell it and maybe Micheal's will have it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to cover both sides of the tokens with printed material, don't waste your money on matboard. Try to find regular old chipboard instead. When you buy matboard, you are paying for a carefully engineered color, surface quality, and lightfastness. If it's not going to show, why pay extra for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this link in the DIY section as well as the Designer section. This is a company in the US that sells actual bookbinding materials and tools. Take a look through their site as you might find a bunch of things you could use. http://talasonline.com/

I have bought stuff from these guys in the past for bindery work I have done in the past. Mainly I have used them for things like book blocks and cloths as I can get all the other supplies I need locally from suppliers to the trade. For non-trade people these guys are a great resource. I would even recommend just calling them and get them to help you out rather than trying to figure it out on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.