Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Phillips
United States
BLUE SPRINGS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this is basically the same price as the online board game retailers, but hey, it's Free Shipping. It's also just barely above the lowest historical price on Amazon.

Village on Amazon - $32.24
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Z
United States
New York
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104006/village

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another posting for the behemoth. It's amazing how many posts there are for Amazon when a cursory search reveals that oftentimes they don't even have the lowest price. Is this just free advertising for them?
Boycott Amazon. Support your local game store or small retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boar wrote:
Another posting for the behemoth. It's amazing how many posts there are for Amazon when a cursory search reveals that oftentimes they don't even have the lowest price. Is this just free advertising for them?

I'm just as much of a proponent of local businesses as the next guy, but people post these deals because they offer the game at a price SIMILAR to (or the same as) the other major online game retailers without the "spend $100-150 for free shipping requirement."

If your FLGS offers boardgames at 40%, more power to you. I've never run into one.

A "hot deal" has to do with price, not morality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Viera
United States
Laguna Beach
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boar wrote:
Another posting for the behemoth. It's amazing how many posts there are for Amazon when a cursory search reveals that oftentimes they don't even have the lowest price.

He addressed that. Free shipping through Amazon is a great deal for those who do not want to spend $100 or more at competing shops to qualify for free shipping. Factoring for shipping at Funagain, Miniature Market, and CSI, Amazon is by far the cheapest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
boar wrote:

Yes...the best way to boycott something is to bring up the thread again and provide no reason as to why you want to boycott it.

If you really dislike Amazon, why don't you explain why next time and/or provide hot deal links to something that isn't a large retail store (looked through your posts to see what else you suggested to boycott).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boar wrote:
Support your local game store or small retailer.

Says the "boar" who's entered 58 BGG contests. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go amazon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
boar wrote:

Let's not make this into an "ad hominem" attack.

Boar has a right to his opinion, and in many ways he is correct. I love Amazon, but their non-tax status (in most states) means they unfairly compete against local small businesses.

That said, this is a HOT DEALS forum, and those sorts of ethical debates don't have much place here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
SommerMatt wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
boar wrote:

Let's not make this into an "ad hominem" attack.

Boar has a right to his opinion, and in many ways he is correct. I love Amazon, but their non-tax status (in most states) means they unfairly compete against local small businesses.

That said, this is a HOT DEALS forum, and those sorts of ethical debates don't have much place here.

Amazon collects sales tax in a lot more states than other stores which sell board games online.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_4...

I live in NY and happily pay sales tax on my orders from Amazon. Their prices, selection, and customer service are superior to most local retailers for most items. In addition, it saves a lot of time.

Saying that they compete unfairly against local small businesses isn't fair. I like the idea of FLGS, but they have to compete against everyone else, and if they can't, I don't see anything wrong with them going out of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us also don't have a FLGS that is worth supporting or a small retailer that carries anything other than Risk and Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:

You state this as if it were incontrovertible fact.

There are quite a few people who believe that it's unfair to force Amazon to collect sales tax in states in which it does not have a physical location. After all, state & local taxes support state & local services -- police, fire stations, and the like. If Amazon doesn't have any physical locations in a state, then it would not take advantage of those services. Thus, why should Amazon have to collect sales tax in such a state?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

There are quite a few people who believe that it's unfair to force Amazon to collect sales tax in states in which it does not have a physical location. After all, state & local taxes support state & local services -- police, fire stations, and the like. If Amazon doesn't have any physical locations in a state, then it would not take advantage of those services. Thus, why should Amazon have to collect sales tax in such a state?

Like the man said, this is not the thread/forum for this type of discussion. However it is a good topic, why don't you start a thread in the proper forum (not sure which one), link to it in this thread and we can discuss it there. I for one would be very interested in seeing what people have to say about it.

Jorune

Ps. If you decide not to start the thread, lemme know and than I will. Just don't want to steal your thunder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
nbread wrote:

Like the man said, this is not the thread/forum for this type of discussion. However it is a good topic, why don't you start a thread in the proper forum (not sure which one), link to it in this thread and we can discuss it there. I for one would be very interested in seeing what people have to say about it.

Jorune

Ps. If you decide not to start the thread, lemme know and than I will. Just don't want to steal your thunder.

Nope, you're right -- this discussion doesn't belong in the Hot Deals forum. I'm just not a fan of the "Here's my opinion on a somewhat controversial topic... but we really shouldn't discuss this here" thing, so I couldn't let it slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
I'm just not a fan of the "Here's my opinion on a somewhat controversial topic... but we really shouldn't discuss this here" thing, so I couldn't let it slide.

Awesome. I hope you feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
BLUE SPRINGS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving this a little bump, because there is one out there right now for $31.69.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.