GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Descendants vs. Exiles vs. Enlightened rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descendents took off to a fast & easy start. I was playing the Exiles, and hoping for some good materials in the beginning - but also trying to repeat the "tier 3 explore" strategy that works fairly well with other races. I found some 'meh' discovery tiles and an Ancient Hive, the Hive I came back for on turn 8.

Enlightened has played a little less games, and forgot his combat rerolls several times. (Reminded after the first time, but he eventually worked it out.) He was money-shy for the first half of the game, until the time he went first and got the only Advanced Economy, expanded his orbitals, followed by the double disc tech.

Descendents ran out of explore options, and started expanding into the Enlightened. Sector 108 was fought over for several rounds, until they declared a truce "to expand in other directions", while I was away from the table. The Descendents took the galactic center - they maxed out their center row with 6-source, an early anti-matter cannon, and double discs...war!

Meanwhile, the Exiles had trudged along...my science eventually eclipsed the others, and I picked up plasma cannons, the 9-source, and +3 computers. There were both missiles out, but several anti-missile techs were there too.

Descendents had the big gun and sentient hulls, Enlightened had faster ships and plasma cannons, and I had computers+plasma cannons. It was mostly a stalemate - we were all running cruisers due to our material needs...the Descendents banked on 3 monoliths in the final turn.

At the end of turn 8, Descendents were decently in the lead, having just wiped out the Enlightened homeworld. Turn 9, the Enlightened take back their homeworld, and win against an Ancient homeworld, and a regular ancient ship hex. I take my cruisers through a warp into Descendent space, starting to pick off possible monolith worlds after researching wormhole. Descendents start slowly moving into my space, bogged down by my orbitals and interceptors.

The Descendents look at my tableau and think that I have one disc left, which is good because they have still have one left to build monoliths...on my turn, I used my often-used Pulsar to upgrade the interceptors. Oh no for him...he builds three monoliths, and with my final disc I manage to get to two, killing off the ancient ships that were guarding them...but only enough discs to claim one monolith.

The Enlightened win at 43 - the two battles at the end of the universe netted them 11 points, plus some reputation draws. Had I not taken 4 Descendent systems in the final turn, he would have had close to 50...he ends up a close third behind my 37. He could have won had he spent one dreadnought from the center to stop the Enlightened from one battle (and thus letting the Descendents take it)...a pretty close ending.

I learned a trick from the Enlightened player - he had extra discs after awhile, but with no leftover science/materials/needed upgrades...he could have done an influence action to refresh his colony ships - to help him with combat rerolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Takahashi
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not allowed to play Ancient Hives as the Descendants of Draco, perhaps you're talking about an Ancient Homeworld?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.