GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,707 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Changing number of heroes through campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always have different numbers of players at our gatherings. We just started our first campaign, and I'm sure we're going to want to continue it at our next get together, but we started with 2 heroes and will probably have 3 or 4 next time!

I really don't want to try to track 2 or more different campaigns at the same time... makes little baggies storing our loot useless. Has anyone tried changing the number of players during a campaign? The only downside I can think of is added players will not have as much experience as everyone else, so may tip the balance in favor of the OL... (though I'm playing the OL, and haven't won a quest yet...)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them have as much experience as everyone else when you'll be adding them, and give them 50 gold for every quest you did which gave gold prize for heroes. Don't let them market step until they finish new quest.

After that keep it 4 heroes no matter how many players are there. If you will have only 2 hero players let them control 2 characters each. This way you won't be able to break balance in any way in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also going to change item balance; if you've been playing with less heroes and suddenly have more, you'll have less items to go around, making the heroes generally weaker. If you've been playing with more heroes and suddenly have less, you'll have more items for each hero (even if some are useless, there's a lot of items that are useful to everyone or at least to multiple heroes), making them stronger.

However, for XP, it's usually best to just let heroes that aren't present get the same amount of XP, since they do need to keep up with both monsters getting stronger in act 2 and the overlord having more cards (the overlord's progression isn't dependent on the number of heroes at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the easiest solution would be to just play with four heroes. Occasionally you'd have one person control more heroes than the other people playing, and other times you'd have one person controlling four heroes, which isn't necessarily ideal, but it still beats changing the game every time you play. Right now I'm controlling four heroes in my campaign, and it does get difficult to keep straight all of the different characters' abilities, feats,and equipment at times, but it's doable.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanjamal wrote:
Perhaps the easiest solution would be to just play with four heroes. Occasionally you'd have one person control more heroes than the other people playing, and other times you'd have one person controlling four heroes, which isn't necessarily ideal, but it still beats changing the game every time you play. Right now I'm controlling four heroes in my campaign, and it does get difficult to keep straight all of the different characters' abilities, feats,and equipment at times, but it's doable.
-ryanjamal

Do this. Don't change the number of heroes in play, just change the number of players controlling those heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
ryanjamal wrote:
Perhaps the easiest solution would be to just play with four heroes. Occasionally you'd have one person control more heroes than the other people playing, and other times you'd have one person controlling four heroes, which isn't necessarily ideal, but it still beats changing the game every time you play.

This has historically been the solution in first edition for all such concerns about balance or player count. It seems to be an equally good solution in second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody explain to a noob why changing numbers from session to session is a problem? There are a number of ways in which the OL power level gets modified to compensate for hero count, in what way are they not sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest issue is equipment. Gold and search items are based on number of heroes. If you go from 4 heroes to 2 heroes, the 2 heroes will have access to about twice as much equipment and should be able to optimize every item slot. It can go the other way, too. If you go from 2 heroes to 4 heroes in the middle of a campaign, the 4 heroes will have to share 2 heroes worth of equipment, so the characters will roll fewer dice and have worse defenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, equipment persistence and changing relative value of gold rewards are the biggest problems I can see. Playing with 4 heroes always and adjusting the number of players controlling them seems like the best way to me. A 2P game has the hero player controlling two anyway, so it's not like it's a stretch to assign two heroes to one player in a larger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you draw number of heroes +1 items at shop between quests, which also gets funky with changing numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no problem with varying # of heroes. Just do it.

Too much equipment in the party when # heroes goes down? This is a fix, not a problem, because the heroes have a harder time with less heroes.

Wrong number of equipment draws? Just ignore the problem. Balance is erratic and swingy in this game. Equipment draws are just noise on top of noise. Or just play with a fixed number (four) of draws (Why should smaller hero parties, which find more of the cards useless, get a smaller range to buy from?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.