Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever worked on a single deck variant?

The game doesn't seem quite good enough to warrant spending the time to create multiple balanced decks. But, if there was a single/common deck version that could be put together, all those old cards might actually see some play time every once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. R.
msg tools
I think it's quite possible to play this game with a single deck but I haven't tried it yet. The first problem will simply be the lack of synergy between the cards used in the deck and the skills of the agents, but other than that, given a good distribution, the game can be balanced and fun. In a regular deck you'll want to include 10-17 sites, so on a first try I'd go with at least 25 site cards, some 8-10 bluffs, some 8-10 adversaries, around 30 events, 8-12 equipments and 8-10 witnesses. Maybe you can include a couple of agents in the shared deck too.
A second problem might simply be deck size. Decks can run out quickly because of the draw mechanics, and you may want to keep all bluffs and adversaries balanced.
I guess another way to simply go an try the game is by using two sealed decks and play them straight out of the box. I don't think the experience would be that much different because the card pool is just so limited that a shared deck wouldn't be all that cohesive anyway.
It'd be nice to hear your experiences if you do try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this recently. I'm picturing a draft of some kind for your team of agents, and maybe a way to borrow other agents for a turn. Sites would be their own deck, with a certain amount available. Not sure how bluffs and adversaries would play, let alone combat cards. Maybe a combat deck with its own mini-game? If I get around to tinkering I'll post what I come up with here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added this today (as a new thread):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1143557/single-deck-vari...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.