Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So gaming group got into a fight about a scoring situation.

Example:

Green player places 1 green colony on a territory (and they are the only one) and thus scores 2 points. 1 pt for control and 1 pt for 1 green colony token there.

Next turn another player uses an Orbital Teleporter to move the 1 green colony the previous player had just placed to another territory with 1 red colony there.

Therefore in this situation the green and red player would lose 1 point because neither one would get a point for controlling a territory.

Right?

The green player argued that you can't lose the 1 point because he/she got the point for dominating the area and once leaving the area can't lose the 1 point. Meaning you can't lose a point for exiting a territory that that you controlled I guess. That point was earned.

Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:
So gaming group got into a fight about a scoring situation.

Example:

Green player places 1 green colony on a territory (and they are the only one) and thus scores 2 points. 1 pt for control and 1 pt for 1 green colony token there.

Next turn another player uses an Orbital Teleporter to move the 1 green colony the previous player had just placed to another territory with 1 red colony there.

Therefore in this situation the green and red player would lose 1 point because neither one would get a point for controlling a territory.

Right?

The green player argued that you can't lose the 1 point because he/she got the point for dominating the area and once leaving the area can't lose the 1 point. Meaning you can't lose a point for exiting a territory that that you controlled I guess. That point was earned.

Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks!

From the rulebook:

If you no longer have more colonies on the territory than any other player, you lose control of the territory. You immediately return the territory card to the planet, lose a victory point, and can no longer use the territory’s bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your friend needs to get used to the "dynamic" scoring of Alien Frontiers. There is a reason why the scoring board is shaped like a car fuel/temperature/tachometer gauge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:

Right?

Yes. Points are not permanent. A player's score is a snapshot of the points they have from colonies, controlling territories, and tech cards at that particular moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

We read the rulebook several times and green player didn't think it was clear enough. He's a scientist so it's hard to argue with him because I feel like, "Is there something he's seeing that I'm not seeing?"

Anyways...we played it to the end and I don't think he was ever satisfied with the answers given on this forum. I think I'll just let the game sit for awhile and when busting it out again I'll just have to keep repeating the way scoring is supposed to work and maybe he'll just accept it.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

We read the rulebook several times and green player didn't think it was clear enough. He's a scientist so it's hard to argue with him because I feel like, "Is there something he's seeing that I'm not seeing?"

Anyways...we played it to the end and I don't think he was ever satisfied with the answers given on this forum. I think I'll just let the game sit for awhile and when busting it out again I'll just have to keep repeating the way scoring is supposed to work and maybe he'll just accept it.

Thanks again!

Get the Alien Frontiers ios game. Besides being an excellent port and something you can play while on the road, you can also verify some rules by seeing how the app handles it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want you can even not calculate the scoring during the game and only count at the end of the game. That might avoid such discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
How can "lose a victory point" be any more clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:
We read the rulebook several times and green player didn't think it was clear enough.

I really don't see how there is any room for ambiguity. From page 6, my emphasis:

"If you no longer have more colonies on the territory than any other player, you lose control of the territory. You immediately return the territory card, lose a victory point, and can no longer use its bonus."

"Scoring is not cumulative. It is a snapshot of the current board and hand situation at any single point in time. Use the scoreboard to track the current standings throughout the game. Your score will fluctuate up and down as the game progresses, and each time circumstances change the scoreboard should be updated."

It may not be how he personally wants the game to work, but those are the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:
It may not be how he personally wants the game to work, but those are the rules.

I frequently wish the rules would be different for many games that I play - so they could suit me and let me win!

It sounds like he's not very scientific. It is difficult to play with people who can't let their opinions be swayed by the facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Springboard by Game Salute
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
fatum wrote:
If you want you can even not calculate the scoring during the game and only count at the end of the game. That might avoid such discussions.

This is the way the game was initially designed. However, players were wasting time every turn adding up scores manually to see who was ahead. The fluctuating scoreboard was the best solution to the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.