Subject: Happy Landings - opinions and ideas wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago in the blog - I mentioned adding a D6 roll to see what time of day you land at an adventure. Not much rules based, but mainly a story immerser and flavour.

I have also already talked about a future expansion called 'Happy Landings' and want to check out people's viewpoints on an idea.

'Seasons' (as in Winter, Spring etc) have already been put in the game in the Companion 2 expansion. Would people like even more detail on where you land and what the weather was like?

By this I mean a simple D6 roll based on the season to give you the weather (clearly there would be no need for weather on spaceships!). Thius would have little effect on gameplay except maybe calling up e079 or e121.

Another simple D6 roll would then give you more detail and some variation in where you land. This would be different for each Adventure or perhaps some adventures might have a common table (London in Post modern Earth or Victorian London/Cardiff for example).

The roll would give flavour ('a horseyard', 'a busy bustling street' 'next to a London Underground station', 'in a cargo bay') and some might also give modifiers (perhaps +1 to the landing event roll to make encounters more likely, or the ability to Relax in a non-Holiday adventure for a Turn etc).

Would this be something players would welcome and enjoy - to make adventures more varied and give more immersivity?

Ideas and opinions welcomed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd use that. I'm all about the story with this game, so anything that helps get me into the setting is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would add a good deal of atmosphere to the game so I would be in favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Whitaker
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the Story and Theme is what makes this game amazing. Adding more Story and Theme elements will always be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think adding weather would be more interesting than local color.

Several of the audio adventures make extensive use of weather conditions to add a great deal of flavor to the story.

This could be as simple as precipitation / no precipitation or wind / no wind. Precipitation in Summer is rain, while in Winter it would be snow. On the planet RGB-1232, precipitation would take the form of a sudden alumina squall.

Adverse weather conditions could provide modifiers to both enemies and friendlies, possibly making the scenario easier or more difficult.

I think a howling storm would add more flavor than a musty curio shop.

TT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
I think adding weather would be more interesting than local color.

Several of the audio adventures make extensive use of weather conditions to add a great deal of flavor to the story.

This could be as simple as precipitation / no precipitation or wind / no wind. Precipitation in Summer is rain, while in Winter it would be snow. On the planet RGB-1232, precipitation would take the form of a sudden alumina squall.

Adverse weather conditions could provide modifiers to both enemies and friendlies, possibly making the scenario easier or more difficult.

I think a howling storm would add more flavor than a musty curio shop.

TT

Yes, I agree.

But we could have both the weather and the curio shop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks for the positive responses.

No, how do we lay it out? Take, for example, a401 - Post Modern Earth, London from 'Rose'.

The text indicates a busy afternoon in the Spring.

So, what do we do on landing:

1. Roll 2d6 for the season (from Companion 2) and then 1D6 for the weather. Weather is based on season, so these 2 rolls are standard where appropriate (not on spaceships etc). There could also be special weather conditions attached to certain alien planet adventures (acid rain etc).

2. Then roll 1D6 for time of day (again, if appropriate - although I suppose there could be 'night-time on ships...).

3. Then roll 1D6 for 'precise' landing location (just off a busy street, under the London Eye, close to an Underground tube station, on a council estate, in the cellar of a dept store etc). Does this description really depend on the result of time of day rolled above though??

4. Roll for landing event as usual

5. Start adventure with Turn 1!.

Is this TOO much rolling? And are we going to get contradictory results?

Is there an easier way of doing it?

Opinions and ideas welcome...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's a bit too much rolling but cannot think of a better method off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplest option I can think of is to use 4 coloured dice to represent the 4 options. Roll them all at the same time.

Maybe a player aid for this could a simple A6 sized card with four boxes and the appropriate icon next to them for the option. Alien Frontiers use the coloured die roll placement principle.

Or just write down the results on a scrap of paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for weather. Adds to the story elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm worried about the contradictory results a little and also the amount of die rolls

Also that the pic of the adventure becomes useless (although that's just a small consideration i know) .

Are there other ways?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seem like a lot of die rolling, but it would happen just once per setting.

The weather seems the most interesting option, and would be the most modular in terms of being able to drop in or ignore as so desired. If for some reason you end up being able to attend to only one option, I'd cast my vote for that one.

Time of day seems least interesting. It seems like it might not be very impactful most of the time, and it might be a bit fiddly to try and apply reasonable effects to all the existing events in those cases where it would matter, e.g. such-and-such event wouldn't happen logically at nighttime, while such-and-such event would be altered a lot, etc. I think I'd have to give it a test to see how it really felt and if it seemed more "fussy" or was sincerely enriching.

The arrival locations seem like they could be really cool. It does seems like it might be a design challenge to get enough specific location results to make an interesting spread of options/results for everywhere/when. Would these be rather like Location Events that you happen to start at? If so, it might make it easier to include the location line of the adventure as a possibility available as a starting location for a given adventure. That'd hopefully be in addition to any time/setting-oriented "specials", but that option would flesh those out and add some built-in options for places that you haven't had time or inspiration to come up with specifics for.

Maybe something like this?

Roll 2d6:
7-: No specific landing location.
8-10: Roll again on the Location line of the adventure for the landing location.
11+: Roll on the more special/specific table, if applicable; otherwise, roll on Location line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm thinking with the landing locations is that we do 6 for each adventure - 3 are just flavour text and 3 have a small effect on the adventure.

The problem with using a Location event from the location line of the adventure is that could be the landing event...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just watched the Horror of Fang Rock, and one of the principle characters was the suffocating ambience of night and fog.

When I played my first game of DWSG I used locations completely wrong. I just assumed that after landing one rolled for location before doing anything else. When I discovered that an entire game of cat and mouse against the Master could be played without any sense of place I was disappointed. I vaguely recall playing an adventure where I landed in London and played the adventure seemingly on the streets of the city. It was an interesting idea, but didn't make a lick of sense with the story itself.

So, in closure I am all for a starting location, along with weather and time.

And like others have stated one does not need to use this option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know what you mean and I'm all for immersivity and detail. It's just that it could be a little clumsy with all the rolls and possible contradictions.

Also, some of the adventures are inherently 'dated' - like the Christams episode ones - and others have descriptions of 'warm summer sunshine' or whatever. What would we do with those?

So it could prove more difficult than I first imagined...

Another way would be for me to write 'alternative' adventures that are duplicates of the originals but with slightly different texts and pics... I could certainly do those and effectively double our adventures with a different time of day or season or weather..?

I think this needs to be modelled...somehow..

What bothers me is a landing loction and possible contradictions with a landing event that also rolls for a Location event...

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, some of the adventures are inherently 'dated' - like the Christams episode ones - and others have descriptions of 'warm summer sunshine' or whatever. What would we do with those?

Such adventure environmental conditions take precedence. They override the rolls. No contradictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
Quote:

Such adventure environmental conditions take precedence. They override the rolls. No contradictions.

But there are quite a LOT of them, now I've looked so this whole process might need a rethink...

Okay, help me out here....

Give me 6 possible landing locations each for Lanos or Callis IV please - only a max of 3 of each can have a slight effect on the adventure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't all rush at once... whistle

(Harder than it looks, isn't it...?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've figured it out. A complete change of tack but still more description and flavour all the same.

Firstly, I'm going to update and expand a lot of the Core Adventure descriptions with some new flavour text including some weather effects and descriptive landing locations.

Eventually, all adventures might have a makeover - well, polish, anyway.

All these will be featured over at the Wiki:

http://dwssg.averyniceplace.de/wiki

Work starts today!

'Happy Landings' will still be done but in a completely different way...

When you roll for a landing event, 8+ still gives you the usual landing event possibilities, but if you roll 2-4, then you enter a whole new scenario... a scenario specific to your adventure with more story elements...

Exciting new developments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now polished over half the Core adventures with extra descriptive text and a few tweaks here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.