Subject: New English rulebook available! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that the new English rulebook is now available here!
I hope that it is now easier readable, and easier to understand. IF this is not the case, please leave comments here accordingly. Or write to me.

Unfortunately, with the tools at hand, the formatting is not the best, and the pictures are a little pixellated (you'll see). Fran and Nacho tried their best to do it best as they could, but there was only so much they could do.

Also, they tried to get the rulebook out as quickly as possible, so that you don't have to wait longer than necessary. It still took quite some time, and for that we all apologize.

One final thing about the rules - there has been a minor rules change, concerning Hoplite and Galley movement.
In the first edition of the rules, you were able to move your own units through territories in which you already reached full capacity. So if you had 5 hoplites in Boiotia, you still could move hoplites from Attika to Makedonia.
Now, this is not possible anymore.
Or, to spell it out: If you have reached full capacity in a territory, you can no longer move through with your own units.

As Ignacio has already pointed out, this was at first based on miscommunication, but Fran felt that it was a good rule, and decided to make it the official one. It will also be included in the next edition of the Spanish rules.

Basically, both rules variants are right. There is none more correct, or better. You just have to decide which one to use...

All the best,
Dumon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great news, thanks for reacting so well to user comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will stick with the original rule.

Are there any other changes or just clarifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dumon,

Great work! question about the rulechange:
You will move through territories in which you not reached full capacity. In this case there are 4 hoplites in Boiotia (round 4). Can you move through Boiotia with only 1 hoplite now?
Why this rule changes? I think the game works well without this rulechange. Is the game better now?

Dumon wrote:
Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that the new English rulebook is now available here!
I hope that it is now easier readable, and easier to understand. IF this is not the case, please leave comments here accordingly. Or write to me.

Unfortunately, with the tools at hand, the formatting is not the best, and the pictures are a little pixellated (you'll see). Fran and Nacho tried their best to do it best as they could, but there was only so much they could do.

Also, they tried to get the rulebook out as quickly as possible, so that you don't have to wait longer than necessary. It still took quite some time, and for that we all apologize.

One final thing about the rules - there has been a minor rules change, concerning Hoplite and Galley movement.
In the first edition of the rules, you were able to move your own units through territories in which you already reached full capacity. So if you had 5 hoplites in Boiotia, you still could move hoplites from Attika to Makedonia.
Now, this is not possible anymore.
Or, to spell it out: If you have reached full capacity in a territory, you can no longer move through with your own units.

As Ignacio has already pointed out, this was at first based on miscommunication, but Fran felt that it was a good rule, and decided to make it the official one. It will also be included in the next edition of the Spanish rules.

Basically, both rules variants are right. There is none more correct, or better. You just have to decide which one to use...

All the best,
Dumon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there are no other changes. Even this "change" was, in the beginning, not intended. Miscommunication became testing became deliberation, more or less.
So the "new" rule was born out of a mistake, but became the "official version", now. It was a matter of choice. Both rules work well, and change the game only slightly (but significantly in strategy).

Everything else in the rules is just in there for clarification. Some minor aspects of the FAQs should also be in there (e.g. that # of cubes is limited).

About the question:
You always moved only one hoplite. As you have to move hoplites 1 by 1, there is no change in impact on movement.
Now, don't misunderstand this. One MOVEMENT ACTION can have you move up to the maximum number of hoplites of the current round. This depends on the destination, and how many hoplites are already present there.
However, you have to move all of these hoplites one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

why not adding both 'variants' of the 'new' rule so that one can decide which one to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingo, it was never considered a variant.

During translation of the German rulebook, I had very extensive correspondence with Ignacio. Everything that was unclear to me prompted questions. A LOT of questions. This was also a good thing, as it led to some primary (and general) rules revisions (some of which you will find when you compare the old PnP rules with the original ones, including the Spanish rules).

However, since my correspondence was only with Ignacio, there was (at one point) an issue of grave miscommunication. This was based on Ignacio playing the game differently from what had been written in the original English and Spanish rules (he stated that in the file comments, already). But he was completely convinced that he was playing it correctly. And I was inclined to believe him - why shouldn't I?

So the rule made it's way into the German rulebook. Not as a variant, but as the official rule. Because that was how I understood it.

Afterwards, I was asked to write the new English rulebook, aswell. This rule made it into that rulebook, too.
And it was only discovered when Fran looked over the English rules and found the "mistake".

From that point on, we discussed it. Fran tested it. And decided that it was a good rule. And that we should keep it as the official version. Basically as "revised" rule.

Why we did not include both rules as variants is easy. For once, the German and English (and the next Spanish) rulebook should be completely interchangeable, and completely the same. If there were changes in content in every subsequent rulebook, no matter what the language would be, more and more confusion would arise between the languages.

That being said, it is the intention of both Nacho and Fran, to include a variant section in the next edition. Which will most likely also include a lot of other variants, including one mitigating the die roll concerning the Siege action.

Now, this has been full disclosure.
Mistakes have been made here. You can blame it on me, if you want.

But please, understand:
This change is NOT a new variant.
This change is, as of now, the OFFICIAL RULE.
The old rule is not better nor worse, and is, as of now, considered the variant. You can choose to play it that way, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

This change is NOT a new variant.
This change is, as of now, the OFFICIAL RULE.
The old rule is not better nor worse, and is, as of now, considered the variant. You can choose to play it that way, though

Sorry if I couldn't answer before. I'm ill (Viral Pharyngitis)...

That's it. It's the only change and a minor one. Both Rulebooks (English and German are renewed and the same)

If you don't feel comfortable, you may play with the rules included in the game, because it changes very slightly the gameplay. It only makes harder a long blockade (because it may lead to self-blockade):

It's round type 4 and you want to move 3 hoplites from Boiotia to Makedonia (empty territory) and you already have 4 hoplites in Thessalia

You'll have to move 1 hoplite from Thessalia to the same destination territory because you already have the maximum there

And now you're able to move the 3 from Boiotia (as always the movement is checked 1 by 1)

So you have moved the maximum of this round but you're no longer blocking the pass through Thessalia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys!

Although I purchased my game just a few weeks ago I guess that copy was old enough to contain the previous version of the english rules. Alhough you could tell that the translation was not the best you could still figure out how to play the game.

But now, wow! The revised english rules are so much easier to read and grasp. No more ambiguities, everything is much clearer. For example I had read before that a single hoplite could not use sea and land movements at the same time but I could never get that from the older rulebook. Now everything is spelled out, making a very interesting game even better!

My wife doesn't like wargames but she enjoys this one very much, even more so when I told her there couldn't be any fights in the very first round!

Congratulations Fran! Very good game, and your first one at that! Can't wait to see an expansion for this one... cool

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three hoplites went to Attika...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new rule/clarification of the way movement works. Thanks for the updated rules and examples guys! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Excellent effort on new rule book and even though the game could be played with a little work with the original rules - the new rules are far more accessible and user friendly ...

Well worth the wait and a sterling job ...

Many thanks

Ric

Ps you forget to credit yourself on the back page and I think you should !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it's on there. Just look closely. Hint: It's not the back page.

Thanks for the praise, though.
cool

And before I forget it - part of the praise goes to two users here who helped me a lot. I am not a native speaker, so they helped give the rules that extra shine!!

Thanks to
James McAninch
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools

Your help was invaluable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lach
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Is anyone else having trouble printing out the entire set of rule pages? I seem to only be able to print up and through page 11. After that, I cannot get pages 12 - 20 to print. Even if I specify only one of those pages, nothing prints out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All worked fine for me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action 4 Create Project, is missing from the player aid on page 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hutch
Australia
North Fitzroy
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I posted this on the download area too but...

The new version does NOT include the rule stating that 2 Proxenos cannot be in the same Polis.

thanks!

(Great game after 1 play btw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some erratas, please keep in mind:

+ Page 12, first column (after the paragraph "To move the Proxenos he is..."), we would have to add the following paragraph:
"A single Polis can only have one Proxeno. In other words, two Proxenos cannot be in a single Polis."

+ Page 14, first column (after the paragraph "a battle will take place..."), we would have to add the following paragraph:
“It is possible that a situation occurs in which one player has already passed, and after one of the remaining player's actions a territory contains 8 or more units. A battle will, however, not take place until the remaining player has also passed (i.e., after all of his actions) – if the situation in the territory has not changed by then.”

+ Page 18 (Scenario 1, The Corinthian War): The Spartan galleys are: "2 in Ionio Pelagos, 2 in Myrtöo Pelagos, 1 in Kyklades and 1 in Sporades" (like the picture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McAninch
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.