Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again,

I was looking at the current version of the rules, and didn't see any mention of the lab partner expansion cards. How do they get added to the game? As they are a different size than the regular compound cards, it isn't like you could just shuffle them in. Are there cards added to the main desk to indicate when one of these compounds should be added, or are there always some of these larger compounds in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Hi again,

I was looking at the current version of the rules, and didn't see any mention of the lab partner expansion cards. How do they get added to the game? As they are a different size than the regular compound cards, it isn't like you could just shuffle them in. Are there cards added to the main desk to indicate when one of these compounds should be added, or are there always some of these larger compounds in play?

The Lab Partners cards are a separate deck, and there are always two in play. Whenever one of those compounds is completed, a new Lab Partner compound is added to the field at the end of the Lab Phase.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat! I look forward to playing with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I asked this when it was announced, but I never got an answer. It seems like the Lab Partners expansion would have little value in a two player game. Am I wrong? Will there be a two player variant? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:

The Lab Partners Inspansion cards are larger than the normal compound cards. They are the same height (70mm) but are nearly twice the width (120mm).

When playing with the Lab Partners expansion, you'll alter the research field; instead of setting the field up as a 4x4 grid, it'll be 4x3 instead. At the bottom of the field, you'll place 2 Lab Partner cards. This will still allow 16 claims on the total field.

When a Lab Partner compound is completed, you'll remove & replace it just like a normal compound card- but you'll replace it from the Lab Partner deck instead.

turtleback wrote:

I asked this when it was announced, but I never got an answer. It seems like the Lab Partners expansion would have little value in a two player game. Am I wrong? Will there be a two player variant? Thanks.

As for Lab Partners in the 2-player game, you can try it, but we don't recommend it. The Lab Partners are built with 3-5 players in mind. Using them with a 2-player game makes NOBEL incredibly powerful.

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:
The Lab Partners Inspansion cards are larger than the normal compound cards. They are the same height (70mm) but are nearly twice the width (120mm).

When playing with the Lab Partners expansion, you'll alter the research field; instead of setting the field up as a 4x4 grid, it'll be 4x3 instead. At the bottom of the field, you'll place 2 Lab Partner cards. This will still allow 16 claims on the total field.

When a Lab Partner compound is completed, you'll remove & replace it just like a normal compound card- but you'll replace it from the Lab Partner deck instead.

I suppose then it is theoretically possible that a game will take a bit longer to play with this expansion, as the third finishing condition of not being able to fully restock the table with new elements would take longer to reach.

Either way, I'm looking forward to being able to give this a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
I suppose then it is theoretically possible that a game will take a bit longer to play with this expansion, as the third finishing condition of not being able to fully restock the table with new elements would take longer to reach.

Either way, I'm looking forward to being able to give this a go!

Probably not, as the other two end conditions - reaching the target score on the Score Track and someone maxing out three of their four Lab Table Experiments - help to limit the game length, as well. It's important to note that in many games, those three end conditions may happen simultaneously.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.