GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another Station Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The building of a station is meant, according to the rules, to allow you to get "into (or out of)" a city that you don't have direct access to. You can essentially use someone else's route as if it were your own. The question I have is, can you use a station placed on a city that you don't reach at all to "pull" your trains into that city or do you need to reach your station directly so it can "push" you along someone else's route? I think an example is in order: I owned the route connecting Smyrna to Athina and an opponent owned a string of routes that ended at Smyrna but he wanted to get to Athina. Could he place a station on Athina to allow his route to include my trains running from Smyrna to Athina even though he has no trains reaching Athina directly or would he need to place the Station on Smyrna so his route could continue on to Athina? He felt that he could place a station on Athina and the station would "pull" his trains into that city from Smyrna but I felt that unless his trains reached his station directly he couldn't take advantage of the benefit of the station which would be to "push" his trains along someone else's route, so he'd need to place the station on Smyrna if he wanted to get to Athina. Any clarifications would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stations work from either end. Remember that each station can only allow the use of a single route from that city, but you can satisfy multiple tickets using that single route. Handy hint, at the end of the game move the station to the middle of the route you are using (the tunnel in the station is just the right size to fit over a train car) to make it clear which route you are using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
You're confusing the issue by introducing the terms "pushing" and "pulling." At the end of the game, you look at each city where you have played a station and decide which single route that connects to that city you will use as if it were your own.

You're using the route, not the city, and every route has precisely two endpoints. You can place a station at either end of the route you wish to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
OK. Thanks a lot for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Would this mean that if you had a route that went between two cities with only 1 city in the middle that you could put a station at each end (or one at one end and one in the middle) and complete the route without ever actually having any trains of your own involved at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it would cost eight points in stations. Not a very effective way of gaining points, but sometimes worth it to avoid taking other tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.