GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gold from the supply / per round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kvam

Chaska
Minnesota
msg tools
Just played this for the first time last evening (2 player with a friend). The rules for "starting gold" seemed pretty clear but is gold given to players from the supply at the start of each round the same way or not? My friend thought yes because if not there would be a severe shortage and mostly eliminate any gold-cost actions for the first few rounds. I couldn't see anything explicit in the rules either way other than the starting gold amounts. It didn't end up being a big deal because we were learning the game anyhow but when we revisit I would like to make sure we have it right. Everything else in the game was pretty easy to pick up and have fun with. After learning what all the chits are for and the basic sequence of the play this was actually pretty fast paced and fun.

One other thing - I think I want to sleeve the very nice cards but would like to use the higher quality FFG variety - which one (color) would be best? I had some greys here and they seemed a tad big? Ultra Pro standards were too big too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do not get money at the start of a turn - you have to go to Aurora's Realm Shop or the first spot on Cliffwatch Inn, play an Intrigue Card that gives you money, visit one of the bought buildings that give you money... yes, money is not necessarily abundant, you have to manage it just like your other resources. I have never found it to be so rare that it broke the game.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the sleeves, but there are definitely threads about that around, so you could check those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I couldn't see anything explicit in the rules either way other than the starting gold amounts.

By default, if the rules don't mention getting gold any other time, you don't get gold any other time.

Between the Aurora Shop, the first Cliffwatch Inn space, other buildings, quest rewards, and buildings which give gold as owner bonuses, there will be enough gold floating around to execute just about any reasonable strategy. You start with enough gold to buy a building. Why is your friend so convinced gold costs would be any harder to meet than adventurer costs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are five resources in this game---the four types of adventurers and gold. (These correspond to the five types of quest, and each of the endgame bonuses, except the one who gives VP for buildings, focuses on a different pair of resources.) Depending on what buildings are built in each game, the relative availability of the different types of resources will vary. One way you can affect your chances of winning is by building buildings that support your strategy and avoiding those that don't support your strategy. For example, if you are especially interested in Piety quests, it is usually a good idea to build buildings that supply white cubes. If you are interested in Commerce quests, build buildings that supply money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kvam

Chaska
Minnesota
msg tools
Thanks for the replies guys. I was pretty sure this was the case but it was our first time through and amid the other things we were learning it felt minor (I knew I could double check it later without it ruining our first playtest). With our kids running around we had to cap it at round 6 as it was. Will likely go much faster/complete next time. Appreciate you taking the time to chime in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.