4 Posts

Scattergories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple Name Variation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I just played the game with my in-laws and a topic of debate came up. First of all, we normally play the game with the multi-initial variation in which you acquire points when multiple words with the given initial are used (e.g. “C - Historical Figures”, “Christopher Columbus” would get two points).

Now, if Christopher’s middle name is involved, should it receive a point also? I.e., if his name is Christopher C. Columbus, should the player receive three points?

The specific example that went up for debate was this:
Player 1 put for “D – Presidents”, “Dwight D. Eisenhower.”
A little while later for “W - World Leader/Politicians”, player 2 put “George W. Bush.”

Now it was argued that player 2 should not receive points because the middle name does not count. The rules do state proper nouns, but does not mention middle names.

Given that player 1 received a point for the middle initial “D”, should player 2 receive a point? If player 2 shouldn’t receive a point, then should player one’s second point get taken away?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Our rule with Scattergories is to be as liberal as possible in allowing answers. If the letter is M and the topic is "Items in a refrigerator," acceptable answers are "molecules" and "matter." We encourage creativity, and doing so often leads to more humorous answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher C Columbus deserves the 3 points but George W Bush dosent start with W so you shouldnt get any points at all, if the player decided to put down just W Bush then it would be up to the other players to decide wether that would be acceptable, to me i would vote no as its not the way he is known.

I think most people play with like minded people so they think along similar lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For people's names (and I believe it is stated this way in the rules), we play that either the first or last name must begin with the designated letter for that round. Therefore your answer for "W-Actor" could be "Will Smith" or "Wayne, John" both being customary ways of stating a name. Since it is not customary to state a person's name starting with the middle initial, answers in that fashion become invalid. And we also score points for middle names in those cases where it occurs (i.e. "J. Jonah Jameson").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.