Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking for a book (not sure if I own it) and it occurred to me how useful it would be to have a database of my books (and feedback on them) like I have for my games. So, I know that is some seriously significant project. But I was wondering if anyone is familiar with something similar to BGG for books.

For my part I did a google search and found http://www.librarything.com/

This seems like a descent site but a far cry from BGG and its interface isn't so wonderful to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same question, at one point, but didn't get any recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love librarything, although your collection may not have much in common with my collection

http://www.librarything.com/profile/MelissaRogerson

It's not strictly BookGeek, but I don't imagine that there could EVER be a bookgeek, given the number of published books in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.eten.se/ (in Swedish) gives recommendation based on your own recommendations in books. But it doesn't serve as a database as books need to be recommended by someone to stay.

http://www.filmtipset.se/ (also in Swedish) acts as a database for movies and gives recommendations based on your grades on movies. The makers of this site have plans of doing another site like this with books.

The sites that only gives recommendations based on your bookshelf wouldn't be of much use to me personally since I'm not much of a book collector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined Librarything too shortly after seeing Melissa mention it here a few months ago.

One way that it is similar to BGG is that it is under constant upgrading. I don't visit that site nearly as often as I do this, but it seems that every time I do visit there is some new feature I have to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a look at the site -- thanks for the recommendation! -- and it looks fun, but if I have to pay to list more than 199 books it won't be much use unless I pay.

Clicking on authors' names only gave me a "can't go there" message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
I just took a look at the site -- thanks for the recommendation! -- and it looks fun, but if I have to pay to list more than 199 books it won't be much use unless I pay.

Clicking on authors' names only gave me a "can't go there" message.

Yeah, I was lucky and got in when the lifetime membership was $10... but it has been changed since then. I don't know if I would be willing to spend $25 on a lifetime membership... I guess that depends on if I thought it I would use it for more than 2.5 years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that is a good point about it being constantly under upgrade. I did check out Delicious Library for my computer too. $25 would be worth it to me. I think as someone pointed out above that the sheer quantity of books owned by folks is a challenge.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found a fun little thing that I though was worth resurecting this thread for.

You can edit your LibraryThing profile to show that you are a user at Boardgamegeek. I was shocked to see BGG listed as on of the "Also on" choices.

The only bummer is that you can't see how many Library Thing users are also BGG members. (maybe that will be a future ability)

Check out my profile to see my BGG link.
http://www.librarything.com/profile/Melsana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's alive!

Maybe we should create a group for BGG members? I'll get right on it, join up in the libraryThing forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done: http://www.librarything.com/groups/boardgamegeeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seamusk wrote:
I did check out Delicious Library for my computer too.

Me too, and while it's simple to use and very pretty, last time I looked it was missing both a wish-list facility and the ability to record last read / read count data. I stumped up the cash for Bookpedia, which has both, and interface-wise is, to all intents and purposes, iTunes for books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these book-thingie websites places where you can buy/sell/TRADE, just like good ole' BGG? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Are these book-thingie websites places where you can buy/sell/TRADE, just like good ole' BGG? goo

For buying (used) books, I can't recommend www.abebooks.com highly enough. The selling side looks good too, but I haven't used it in anger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

I was reading the Blog at LibraryThing and they have 3 swap partners. I think it is one of these swap partners that you can use to swap books just bgg, I've never looked into them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

For buying (used) books, I can't recommend www.abebooks.com highly enough. The selling side looks good too, but I haven't used it in anger.

Tim, I have given ABE lots of money over the years, but thank you for the suggestion. I have done well trading on BGG (only once disappointed, and I do not believe the Geek did me wrong on purpose), and I hope other geeks feel the same. I have books that I do not like, and you cannot sell them and make any money off of them, so why not trade with others who have something you want, etc. Just an idea that might happen one day.

By the way, Tim, what is that furry fuzzy criter in your avatar? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.