Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Step1) Play as Noise.

Step2) Install Personal Workshop.

Step3) Throw all of your viruses on there that you can whenever you can. Really heap them up.

Step4) While they're simmering (selectively remove free power tokens each turn to delay any auto-installs) work on money for awhile. Also as a bonus work on getting out Grimoire, and maybe a Djinn or two for prep.

Step5) At the beginning of a turn when you have lots of viruses in the Workshop, say 4 or 5 or more, you have installed Grimoire, Djinn, etc., and you have enough money, then all at once, for no clicks, blast out every virus hosted by removing all remaining power counters.

The ideal effect would be to really bomb the R&D, forcing the corp to trash a lot of cards all at once, hopefully less than fully prepared for it. Then you have your full turn to attempt a run on the now bloated archives.

Does this sound compelling or even at all worthwhile?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Step one: Install Breaking News
Step two: Advance it twice
Step three: Trash Personal Workshop
Step four: Have a week long expose on the evil of hackers and viruses, projected on the moon.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Step one: Install Breaking News
Step two: Advance it twice
Step three: Trash Personal Workshop
Step four: Have a week long expose on the evil of hackers and viruses, projected on the moon.


Yeah, I'm seeing the power of NBN more and more now. Though that's more at the expense of power from others than NBN being made better. The meta is going to be forced into tagging games, which I guess was what this cycle was supposed to be about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
Avatar
mb
Tuism wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Step one: Install Breaking News
Step two: Advance it twice
Step three: Trash Personal Workshop
Step four: Have a week long expose on the evil of hackers and viruses, projected on the moon.


Yeah, I'm seeing the power of NBN more and more now. Though that's more at the expense of power from others than NBN being made better. The meta is going to be forced into tagging games, which I guess was what this cycle was supposed to be about.


I can't wait for it - tagging in my local meta was just not happening. People weren't putting much tagging in their decks (except for Weyland) but now there is plenty of incentive to do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. So seems like a "no" so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Step one: Install Breaking News
Step two: Advance it twice
Step three: Trash Personal Workshop
Step four: Have a week long expose on the evil of hackers and viruses, projected on the moon.

All Corporations are not NBN.

The cards on PW haven't cost any credit. If they are trashed, it's no more dramatic than net damage.

On the other hand they are protected against net and brain damage.

And if the runner is tagged, what's the difference if the Corp play Scorched Earth ?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll test it awhile. Maybe it'll at least be an interesting diversion.

Say they see the play coming and heap their ice onto Archives. That's ice that wasn't assigned elsewhere. Well now that I suddenly have Medium and/or Nerve Agent, a couple Data Suckers, and an Imp, all at the same time, and other servers are comparatively ill-attended, we'll see what happens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, installing a pile of viruses all at the same time or one at a time makes no REAL difference. Unless you're sure what comes next in the R&D (and you usually don't, unless you ran it or mediumed it or something), the chances of every 3rd card over 30 cards being Agendas or 10 in a row are the same.

So... What's the point of this? Playing viruses for cheaper? Sure, that I can understand.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
The thing is, installing a pile of viruses all at the same time or one at a time makes no REAL difference. Unless you're sure what comes next in the R&D (and you usually don't, unless you ran it or mediumed it or something), the chances of every 3rd card over 30 cards being Agendas or 10 in a row are the same.

So... What's the point of this? Playing viruses for cheaper? Sure, that I can understand.


Fair enough. I suppose I convinced myself that it made a difference somehow. Either that they'd be more caught off guard or just for sheer demoralization effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
You want to play viruses using credits from Cyberfeeder!
If you pay for them normally you are too slow, because Anarchs are always quite broke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can use Cyberfeeder credits to install viruses from Personal Workshop. Cyberfeeder says you can use its credits to install viruses, not use paid abilities on other cards. That the paid ability can indirectly install a virus doesn't seem relevant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
rightrhombus wrote:
Tuism wrote:
The thing is, installing a pile of viruses all at the same time or one at a time makes no REAL difference. Unless you're sure what comes next in the R&D (and you usually don't, unless you ran it or mediumed it or something), the chances of every 3rd card over 30 cards being Agendas or 10 in a row are the same.

So... What's the point of this? Playing viruses for cheaper? Sure, that I can understand.


Fair enough. I suppose I convinced myself that it made a difference somehow. Either that they'd be more caught off guard or just for sheer demoralization effect.


I will point out, however, that Personal Workshop is a great place to keep a Parasite or two. You can make a run, and if the corp rezzes a piece of ice, you can throw a Parasite on it from your Personal Workshop. Throw a couple of Datasucker tokens at it to kill it, and you've got a pretty good combo going.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
Avatar
mb
Pyjam wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Step one: Install Breaking News
Step two: Advance it twice
Step three: Trash Personal Workshop
Step four: Have a week long expose on the evil of hackers and viruses, projected on the moon.

All Corporations are not NBN.

The cards on PW haven't cost any credit. If they are trashed, it's no more dramatic than net damage.


It's worse than net damage because you'll have lost all the clicks spent placing those cards on Personal Workshop as well.

It's the same risk/reward ratio as Kati Jones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This strategy (if you can avoid tags) does have the benefit that you need only one run on Archives to hit all the cards all your viruses put out, and the Corp won't have a chance to Archived Memories any agendas out (although the paid ability on the new HB agenda would be able to function before you accessed, since it's a paid ability).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
Avatar
mb
Comfect wrote:
This strategy (if you can avoid tags) does have the benefit that you need only one run on Archives to hit all the cards all your viruses put out, and the Corp won't have a chance to Archived Memories any agendas out (although the paid ability on the new HB agenda would be able to function before you accessed, since it's a paid ability).


Now that's an interesting idea... Noise's Big Dig.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleeveless sleeveless
msg tools
It makes sense. Workshop, for Noise in particular, is an economy card. This play is much stronger with Grimoire installed. As far as cashing in a bunch of viruses at once, it also makes sense. The odds aren't random because you should have some idea of what cards the corp is holding/playing.

If you ever get access to R&D with a medium, you can splash all viruses after a run to mill the cards you just saw. You can also do this while running a remote you suspect to have an agenda.

Aesop's is such a critical piece of Noise's economy that you can't be leaving tags on anyhow. If the corp is going to tag n bag your Workshop via Breaking News, SEA or Posted Bounty, consider yourself lucky you're not flatlined.

The card also allows you stash viruses you can't install yet (if you're lacking in cyberfeeders early game) so Wyldside can do its job better. All the while, you're moving a counter onto a Medium or Nerve Agent every turn, threatening the runner. And, of course, the Stimhack combo.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I made a deck with this that I'm calling Frycook. When I get the cards, I'll check out how well it works. HB Jetpack Turtle would absolutely slay it, though.

Cards: 45 / 45
Influence: 15 / 15

Identity
1x Noise

Event (7)
1x Easy Mark ●
3x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (2)
2x Grimoire

Program (21)
3x Crypsis
3x Datasucker
3x Djinn
3x Imp
3x Medium
3x Nerve Agent
3x Parasite

Resource (15)
1x Aesop's Pawnshop ●●
3x Armitage Codebusting
2x Decoy ●●●●
2x Ice Carver
3x Liberated Account
2x Personal Workshop ●●●●●●●●
2x Wyldside

Decoys are in there to stop PW from being chucked out. Aesop's Pawnshop is there to stop the Wyldside and eat Armitages. And Easy Mark was just the best helper for one influence.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alon luski
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played it. it isn't worth it.

cost a ton of influence and with doesn't really do a lot aside form edge cases.
also it sucks vs 2 out of 4 corps. the last thing you want happening is to run on a data raven or something and both wayland and NBN should be running it.

this might be better in a wizzard deck or with noise with breakers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.