Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can buy the Settlers 3D limited edition for $A700 from Milsims, or $US310 from B&B. At the first price, probably not, at the second price, I'm tempted. Postage will cost a whack, no doubt, but I will save at least $A200. But will there be hassles trying to import this item into Australia? Duty? Quarantine? Is the lack of hassle worth $200 to me? Anyone had any experience with this? Fraser? Shawn Low?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert L
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
The customs rules currently say that you won't pay any extra for any items so long as the value of the items plus the postage is less than $1000 Australian. I doublt there will be any quarantine issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
OK, I can buy the Settlers 3D limited edition for $A700 from Milsims, or $US310 from B&B. At the first price, probably not, at the second price, I'm tempted. Postage will cost a whack, no doubt, but I will save at least $A200. But will there be hassles trying to import this item into Australia? Duty? Quarantine? Is the lack of hassle worth $200 to me? Anyone had any experience with this? Fraser? Shawn Low?

As Rupert noted, the Australian customs limits changed late last year - upping a safe order from about $170 USD to over $600 USD. So no duty or GST implications.

If you do go with B&B (or Milsims I suppose), ask for insurance. Tom from B&B will do it for you (he does it for all my orders), and for a game that expensive it seems a must.

I have been quarantined twice (two separate shipments from Germany - both Catan related coincidentally). I've never had a US shipment quarantined. Quarantine will slow down the process (obviously), but it shouldn't cost you anything.

Even airmail should cost less than $200, and it will be here within 2 weeks (surface is normally 6-8 weeks).

The biggest risk is the hassle of claiming insurance if anything is damaged. I suppose it could also be damaged coming from Milsims but the risk will be lower given the lesser time in transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just brought in 400 Euros worth of games in one MASSSIVE 30KG shipment. Opened for quaratine but no tax.

Just make sure you get a retailer that packs it well.

Also, I'd much rather spend US$300 on more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John, I presume nobody or no shop up in Brissy has one you could look at? Mind Games Melbourne and Albury have one to look at, but I admit that they are both seriously out of your way.

It does look nice, but to me not AUS$760 retail nice. Personally I wouldn't be getting it unless I won first division tattslotto and had already completed my dream Science Fiction DVD collection.

Matthew is the customs guru, so customs wise you should be fine. Maybe you should price it from Adamspiel, they pack well meeple

I agree with the above, you want it packed extra well and then packed again and I would be going insurance for an item like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Matthew is the customs guru, so customs wise you should be fine. Maybe you should price it from Adamspiel, they pack well meeple

I'll add a word of warning and of praise here:
I ordered Catan 3D from adamspielt, and got word that it was shipped. 4 weeks later it had not arrived. Turns out it had been stolen in the mail! Adamspielt though sent me a new copy of the game so I'm happy. They handled everything excellent and the delay was by no means their fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
Turns out it had been stolen in the mail!

"Not the robber again!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Hi John, I presume nobody or no shop up in Brissy has one you could look at?

Mind Games in Brisbane had one, but they wanted $800 for it. I am thinking of resale value as well, should I fall upon hard times. I definitely think it's $400 nice, and definitely not $800 nice. What the point is in the middle, I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Also, I'd much rather spend US$300 on more games.

I have a lot of games, more than I can play really. An item like this would be allowed to live in the lounge room as a display piece, rather than being boxed in the study.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.