Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!

I have two questions about this game,
First, does it qualify more as a stregic or tactic game? Meaning essentially, is there several paths to victory or is it all about taking the right action at the right time?
After reading the rules I'd suppose it's both and it would be possible to "name" the different strategic approaches of the game, like for instance in Puerto Rico you have shipping and building strategies. I like games where you can have strategic talk about.

Second question, how much strategy do we find here. Is it possible to be a good player at this game or is it possible for a new player to beat an experimented one after 2 plays? As there is no randomness I would guess it's hard for new players (even though they can have fun as the game is short andnot too complicated), but the bgg weight value would suggest otherwise.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the expansion in the mail but haven't used it yet. I've played the base game 20+ times. There are multiple paths, animals, buildings, resource hoarding. But without the randomness you can have an idea of what path you always want. The expansion adds four random buildings out of 27 I believe. I think that will help by giving you more decision based on what is drawn for each game. Hope that helps a little.

One side note, with two experienced players a game only lasts twenty minutes, I don't know too many "short" games with a ton of deep strategy, but I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
First, does it qualify more as a stregic or tactic game? Meaning essentially, is there several paths to victory or is it all about taking the right action at the right time?

A bit of both. You can plan for a strategy, but if your opponent can mess with it then you'll need to adapt. Plus sometimes a tactical move is better if it messes with your opponent's strategy. It's not a deep strategic game but it's certainly not entirely tactical.
chaps357 wrote:
Second question, how much strategy do we find here. Is it possible to be a good player at this game or is it possible for a new player to beat an experimented one after 2 plays? As there is no randomness I would guess it's hard for new players (even though they can have fun as the game is short andnot too complicated), but the bgg weight value would suggest otherwise.

That depends on their gaming experience. A strong eurogamer will certainly be competitive after a couple of plays, and I often find myself losing to whoever I teach this to. But my scores are generally improving (with a few disastrous exceptions) and I'm learning new ways of doing things.

Are you asking because you're worried it might be too light/not strategic enough for you? The game seems to go down better with those who don't like the bigger Agricola much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Exactly I want to play this with my wife but the classic Agricola is to lengthy for playing quick games after diner. Plus I found the original Agricola good but too frustrating for my tastes.
Thanks a lot for your answers, I think it just cleared my worries and I'll take the game with the expansion soon :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
Exactly I want to play this with my wife but the classic Agricola is to lengthy for playing quick games after diner. Plus I found the original Agricola good but too frustrating for my tastes.
Thanks a lot for your answers, I think it just cleared my worries and I'll take the game with the expansion soon :-)

You won't regret it. This is a great game, with a good mix of strategy and tactics. My wife and I played for the first time with the More Buildings expansion last night, and I agree with other folks here on BGG who have commented that the expansion increases the strategic component of the game, plus introducing a high level of replayability with all the new buildings that might come into play in any particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say the base game is mainly tactics. There are variations but generally you're always pursuing the same basic idea: expand 2-3 times, then get fences, then get a lot of animals.

The expansion adds some interesting strategical wrinkles. I think it's still a largely tactical game, but you can specialize a bit more than before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:

I would strongly suggest playing without the expansion for the first few games. You'll learn the basic strategy much faster without the extra buildings to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.