Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
So that you don't stumble around like I did.

1. Drop a worker in the right place to move it (as you'd expect).
2. To move the provost (either at the bridge or via the 3rd tile) pick it up and move it. You'll be charged appropriately. To leave it, you still have to move it to the tile it started.
3. Note that BSW doesn't make a noise when a player passes or moves the provost. If you listen to hear your turn, you'll miss that.
4. When building a new building, the icon on the lower right lets you select one, the green arrow builds it, the red x cancels building altogether.
5. At the castle, when you see the popup (showing pink != 2 white) click on it to select the cubes. To build a second time (or 3rd) click it again. Click the red X when you are done building.
6. Note that if you run out of money (or workers) BSW won't pass for you. If you find that you can't build, check your money and workers.

Anything else that people need to know? Add it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have a legal build at the castle, it will skip you automatically. Just FYI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. For the most part I found the interface easy to use. A couple things were odd, but nothing that stopped us for more than a moment. The game advances nicely through the moves with visuals clues of things being moved such as resources "flying" from the building they're earned to the player's box. Pop-up windows appear when you have to choose something such as which resource you want from a building that gives a choice.The board looks funny at first because they had to make it wider than it is tall, but they did a nice job by taking out the final curve and adding more spaces on the road -- I uploaded some pics last night and they'll hopefully appear soon. The change puts the goldmine under the fixed carpenter which looks odd, but the game is not affected in any way.

Bankler wrote:
2. To move the provost (either at the bridge or via the 3rd tile) pick it up and move it. You'll be charged appropriately. To leave it, you still have to move it to the tile it started.

We found you can just click were you want it to move to (no need to drag). And yes, you must click on the space it's on to not move it.
Bankler wrote:
3. Note that BSW doesn't make a noise when a player passes or moves the provost. If you listen to hear your turn, you'll miss that.

We got hit by this a couple times -- waiting for someone else when it's your turn. The turn indicator on the right helps track who's turn it is and what they're doing.

Other tips:
--The brown, gray, and blue tiles on the right just above the turn indicator give you a list of available buildings of that type.

--When building in the castle, the pop-up window for selecting each batch blocks the castle so you can't see the workers (hmmm, maybe it can be moved). Anyway, I was the first in the castle once, but I forgot who the second player was and couldn't see the workers. I was going to build 1 or 2 batches depending on who else was there. Fortunately, as I selected my first batch, the window disappeared while the batch was paid and I could see the workers again. I then canceled my second batch since it wasn't necessary at that time.

One bug we noticed was that a worker moved from the gate to an opponent's building did not award a prestige point. It should be fixed soon if it hasn't been already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have tried Caylus on BSW a few times now, for the most part the interface is pretty good but with several areas for improvement:

1. Biggest problem I had was the way the pop-up windows that cue you to select a particular type of resource cube obscure the rest of the playing area, in particular other buildings where other players have placed their workers. Often it may be crucial to your decision to see what the other players are likely to get, particularly if you are planning ahead for a castle favor or future turn. Seems to me a better idea would be to have all the five types of resources located to the side for the player to click to take one or expend one.

2. The provost move is annoying. Not only is it hard sometime to see where the provost has been moved to (often it's partially obscured by a worker) it's real easy to click on the wrong space and spend money you didn't mean to, which could ruin one's gaming experience.

3. Gameplay seems slow. Part of this is that players are prompted to make moves which should be automatic: i.e., passing when one has no money or no workers, asked to move the provost when one has no money, etc. -- the only thing I saw it did do was to pass over a player who couldn't use the power of a building due to lack of money or cubes.

Another thing that slowed the game down for me was the glitzy interface that I suppose shows the granting of favors, usually during the scoring of the castle segments. It seemed to me that this could be done alot simpler and quicker.

Some people were suggesting it might be possible to get playing time down under an hour. Frankly, I doubt it -- the last game I took (admittedly with a slow-moving bailiff) took over two hours, not much faster than FTF. Expect it to come down with more experience, but a bit disappointing. Hope the powers-that-be at BSW address some of these issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player last night and this after only playing ftf once.

The game took 90 minutes. The interface was very easy to pick up and I think as people get more familiar with it time will go down a bit. But not under and hour and with new players it coule easily take 2 hours.

It's not going to be a 30 minute game ever. But it is a very good game. One that will have the BSW speed-play freaks losing their minds. But that really isn't a bad thing though is it? For me I like to play a nice easily paced game rather than having somebody write ?????? when you think for 10 seconds about a move.

I'd like to see a bit better difference between Red and Orange. The houses when on buildings almost look the same.

Overall though a real nice job by the programmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
1. Biggest problem I had was the way the pop-up windows that cue you to select a particular type of resource cube obscure the rest of the playing area, in particular other buildings where other players have placed their workers. Often it may be crucial to your decision to see what the other players are likely to get, particularly if you are planning ahead for a castle favor or future turn. Seems to me a better idea would be to have all the five types of resources located to the side for the player to click to take one or expend one.

I hate this too. I have found that you can drag the popups by right clicking on the blue area on the left side. However, their locations are not saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Images are up if anyone wants to see what the game looks like on BSW -- click on image to see large version.

Game board:

Early in a 4p game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two games of this on BSW and found the interface very easy to use. The real problem was the fact that I got screwed three times by bugs in the system. In the first game, I had a worker on the Mason, but the building didn't activate; the system just skipped ahead to the next occupied building down the road. Then, in the second game, there were two occasions upon which I was unable to place workers after my opponent passed, despite the fact that I had plenty of workers and money in reserve. I lost both games largely due to these glitches. I'll check back here periodically to see if the kinks have been ironed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games on BSW so far, have observed a couple more, and chatted with several people about it (including the designer) but haven't heard or seen bugs like this.

As a possible explanation of the mason not getting used, are you certain you had the necessary cubes to build one of the available stone buildings? If not, the system will automatically skip your worker. If it was late in the game, it could be that you had certain cubes (food+stone) but all the stone buildings that need those cubes had been built and the remaining ones required other cube combinations (stone+wood or stone+cloth) that you didn't have.

As for the workers, the only thing I can think of is that in a 2-player game (it sounds like yours was) the price jumps to 3 deniers once a player passes. If you only had 2 and didn't have a worker at the inn then you wouldn't be able to place another worker except for at a building you own.

There have been well over 1,000 games played on BSW already, probably closer to 2,000, plus all the testing that was done. Perhaps there is a rare bug that you hit, but at this point I'd be inclined to look for other explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elttil wrote:
As a possible explanation of the mason not getting used, are you certain you had the necessary cubes to build one of the available stone buildings?

Yes. There were at least three stone buildings that I could have legally built.

Elttil wrote:
As for the workers, the only thing I can think of is that in a 2-player game (it sounds like yours was) the price jumps to 3 deniers once a player passes. If you only had 2 and didn't have a worker at the inn then you wouldn't be able to place another worker except for at a building you own.

I was aware of the price jump, but I had 4 deniers and a worker in the inn.

Elttil wrote:
There have been well over 1,000 games played on BSW already, probably closer to 2,000, plus all the testing that was done. Perhaps there is a rare bug that you hit, but at this point I'd be inclined to look for other explanations.

My opponent in the second game remarked "Many bugs in this game" and did not seem terribly surprised that I encountered these difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numskull wrote:
I just played two games of this on BSW and found the interface very easy to use. The real problem was the fact that I got screwed three times by bugs in the system. In the first game, I had a worker on the Mason, but the building didn't activate; the system just skipped ahead to the next occupied building down the road. Then, in the second game, there were two occasions upon which I was unable to place workers after my opponent passed, despite the fact that I had plenty of workers and money in reserve. I lost both games largely due to these glitches. I'll check back here periodically to see if the kinks have been ironed out.

These are major things and I doubt they were bugs, given the amount of testing that has now been dne.

I played about 5 games last night and about once a game someone thought they had found a bug, and when the explained it the others of us told them why the game was doing it correctly and they were mistaken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numskull wrote:
My opponent in the second game remarked "Many bugs in this game" and did not seem terribly surprised that I encountered these difficulties.

Did you play it right after it came out? If so I can understand that. But after that first day or so they have fixed pretty much everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered 2 bugs today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

What were they?

As I said, last night we kept having 'bugs' that were player mistakes. One time, someone was complaining that a wood building with a 'wood and white' cost wouldnt allow him to pay two wood. And he didnt HAVE two wood.

It just makes me skeptical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Some people were suggesting it might be possible to get playing time down under an hour. Frankly, I doubt it -- the last game I took (admittedly with a slow-moving bailiff) took over two hours, not much faster than FTF. Expect it to come down with more experience, but a bit disappointing. Hope the powers-that-be at BSW address some of these issues.

I've played a 3er BSW game in 45 minutes and a 4er BSW game in 1.5 hrs. The interface isn't the main factor in slowing you down. As in F2F, the problem is inattentive, slow gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
How do you get to it on BSW? I don't see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
ekted wrote:

What were they?

As I said, last night we kept having 'bugs' that were player mistakes. One time, someone was complaining that a wood building with a 'wood and white' cost wouldnt allow him to pay two wood. And he didnt HAVE two wood.

It just makes me skeptical...

I had the "Wood + White" problem on day 1, but it disappeared by weds. I also had an issue (Weds Evening) where I clicked on the joust field, and it placed a worker there, but didn't show up in the UI. I kept trying to place there (not realizing the click had taken) and eventually just gave up. [Nobody could see the worker]. But then I got the favor, surprising everyone. Not sure if my worker count or gold was correct, since I didn't grasp it at the time.

My main issue (not BSWs fault) is that I'll play multiple games back to back, and changing player colors confuses me. Particularly when the stable re-arranges order, I'll start staring at another players cubes and then think they are mine. My worst loss involved twice going to the castle thinking I could build and then grabbing the wrong cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
ekted wrote:

What were they?

I was choosing a favor. I already had food cube favor. We were on 2nd castle section. It wouldn't let me select wood/stone, but when I clicked on food, it gave me a food, AND the wood/stone slot.

In the last turn of the game, I had wood/stone cubes and a worker on the Mason building. There was a wood/stone building available and space to build it. It skipped right over the building, and I did not get to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As I said, last night we kept having 'bugs' that were player mistakes.

I did make a few mistakes, but I haven't mentioned them on this thread. All of this happened yesterday, January 6th. I've also experienced instances in which the system doesn't want to display the whole favor chart at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.