Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 2013 reprinting of the game i just got the government grant event card says "add 1 research station to any city (no discard needed)" at the top of all event cards they say play any time not an action, but this is theonly one that says no discard needed. This seems weird since it means they could build as many research stations as they wanted? How is this card supposed to be interpreted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume it means you don't need to discard a matching location card to where you build the research station. This special card is discarded as normal.

(Still I can see new players misunderstanding this card - are more details given in the rule book?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just saying that you don't need to discard a city card to make the station. The original version worded it as 'for free', same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the clarification that makes sense. It probably should have said no city discard needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
(Still I can see new players misunderstanding this card - are more details given in the rule book?)

New rulebook states "After playing an Event card, discard it to the Player Discard Pile" in the Event Card section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carroll
msg tools
While we're on Government Grant, we've had some spirited discussion on how to play the event.

I think you have to build the research station in the city the player is in, and you don't need THAT city card. Everyone else thinks you can build a station ANYWHERE at the cost of a card, whether a player is there or not.

Whose correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer1000 wrote:
While we're on Government Grant, we've had some spirited discussion on how to play the event.

I think you have to build the research station in the city the player is in, and you don't need THAT city card. Everyone else thinks you can build a station ANYWHERE at the cost of a card, whether a player is there or not.

Who's correct?

Well, nobody, but 'everyone else' is closer. You can build it in any city on the board, and the only cost is the Government Grant event card. You do not have to discard any city card. It's a great event near the beginning of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer1000 wrote:

Whose correct?

Who is correct is no one.

You build a center wherever you want (having a pawn in the city is not required) and you do not need the card of that city. The text on the event card is quite clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.