Subject: Auction Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan T
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently looking for a variety of auction games. I have For Sale (pure auction, quick, easy to learn, 3-6 players), and plan on getting Power Grid (auction element, longer, more complex, 2-6 players). I would love to have games that differ on the type of auctions, complexity of the game, time to complete the game, how much of the game is made up of the auction, and the number of players involved. I am willing to include drafting as well.

Please include descriptions of the game and how the auctions work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you know that many people won't play Power Grid with just 2 players, because the nature of the game changes (and so do some rules). Also, I know opinions differ, but for me I think the auctions are only about 30% of Power Grid (with map play and turn order tricks dominating).

Many/most auction games don't work well with 2 players, but quite a few do: Best 2-player auction games

My favorite auction format is when multiple items are up for bid at the same time. Games include:
Homesteaders (thinky but still pretty quick)
Peloponnes (few decisions, yet meaty)
Vegas Showdown (I love the spatial aspect; accessible)
Amun-Re (haven't played it)
The Princes of Florence (haven't played it)

Ra is a highly-respected auction game where the rules of bidding are so constrained that many people argue that it's not even an auction game.

In some games, whatever you pay in the auction goes to your opponents: Dream Factory, Industry/Industria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of auction games, but there are a couple that I think are great...

Homesteaders
Phoenicia

Here are a couple others which are still really good (but not quite as good)...

Peloponnes
Il Principe

Lastly, if you have exactly 5 players...

Santiago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neue Heimat

The auction is a key mechanic, and figuring out value is incredible brain-burning fun. Well worth the effort to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art -- terrific game. Not so long that it overstays its welcome but long enough to work. If you're into auction games, this is a must-have.

At the other end of the spectrum is Indonesia. Also a great game but considerably longer and more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Klink
Estonia
Tartu
Tartu maakond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some of my favourite games are auction games:

Modern Art - a very popular and fun game. the original version is fine but the Nordic version has even better looking components.

Container - an excellent economic game. bidding and auctioning is a very important part of the game.

High Society - really quick game but really fun game. it is all about auctioning : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.