Hide
7 Posts

Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enter a chamber question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bee Newton
msg tools
Can you only enter an unblocked chamber if there is a stairway? That's how I've been playing, but now I'm wondering if you can enter an open passage without a stairway. If so, what is the point of the stairway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The stairway is there for the room orientation: when you discover a room, you need to put the stairway against the room from where you discovered it.

If there is a open passage between rooms (with or without a stairway) you can use that passage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are used to Place New Chambers. They have to be adjacent to the tile you are standing in currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Newton
msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. Do you think it makes any difference in the game to have the stairways? I've been playing by having the stairway entrance join the chamber I'm in when I discover a chamber, but I didn't realize you could enter a chamber without the stairway.

How would the game really be different without the stairways?

I started wondering about the purpose of the stairway when I started playing with the treasure tiles. When I first drew the Secret Passage tile, I thought that would be something I would need to enter an open passage that doesn't have a stairway. If I am allowed to go through that passage anyway, would the Secret Passage tile only be needed to enter between rooms that are blocked by either a single or double wall?

I hope my question makes sense. It turned out to be much more difficult to explain my confusion than I thought it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a rule how you have to position the new chamber. If you would ignore it, you would be able to just choose the optimal position. You can play without this rule and make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Secret Passage treasure is only used where a passage is blocked by a single or double wall. This happens quite often, so it's certainly a useful treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as mentioned before, the stairway is so you orient the newly placed tile in a certain way---that is the stairway from the new tile must be placed onto the tile you are currently in.

Thus, careful but quick planning must be used to obtain an ideal set-up---otherwise the temple becomes a serentine mess---I would know, happened to us on on first plays---and we died.

So, if you play your tiles "right", eventually you can match open doorways with previously placed tiles, interconnecting chambers. I found this strategy greatly helps short-cut/bypas chambers you've already completed---even in the absence of any bonus/treasure tiles.

I find Escape to be one of those games that is so frantic and pressure filled that new players often inadvertently "cheat", thus making the game too easy--or inadvertently don't recognize something good in front of them. Fortunately, a few plays later and it seems they get it right.

Great, quick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.