Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife says I can pick out games up to the cost of her jewelry I bought her for Valentines. So far, we are at 80 dollars left for me to spend, because I bought some Magic cards and stuff...lol.

This is getting tough now though, because of a few reasons:

1) Game Group - One guy and his daughter are tougher to please with the games, and I'm getting bummed buying a game and seeing it never wanting to be played by the group without "force". Last purchase like this? Legendary, which was REQUESTED because the head of the group was a Marvel fan and supposedly liked Deckbuilders. However, he and his daughter couldn't play co-op well (too competitive, they play too much for themselves) and we lost badly twice in a row, and now they won't play anymore. This has happened with a few games I've tried.

2) Family - family doesn't play quite as often as I'd like, and I have a fairly decent mix of games right now, but I'm always looking for something unique to add to the mix. My daughter is almost 8, and can play some games really well and others her mind floats all over the place....lol.

Here are the games I have currently:

Wrath of Ashardalon (Daughter's game, she loves it, wife and I don't love or hate it)
Mage Knight (Bought for group and solo, group bought their own copy)
Smash Up (Family plays this more than group currently, but hope to see more group play from it. One of my faves)
Castle Panic (First family co-op we played. Soon to be replaced by Defenders of the Realm)
Defenders of the Realm (Traded Dungeon Run and Tales of the Arabian Nights for it, still in trade process)
Wiz War (I love this game, play it often with my daughter, but for some reason can't seem to get anyone else to play a round or two)
Elder Sign (Daughter and I love this one too, but it hasn't seen quite as much play since the Digital version released)
Dungeon! (Daughter loves this one as well)
Days of Steam (Bought for the family, we all enjoy it)
Zooloretto (Another family one, we all love this game)
Ticket to Ride - Europe (Bought to play with the wife, one of her favorites)
Jungle Speed (Another one the wife likes a lot)
Citadels (Daughter and I enjoy it mostly, wife kind of liked it but wasn't overly impressed with it)
The Amazeing Labyrinth (Wife LOVES this game. WE all play it often)
Quarriors (Family loves it, haven't bothered with the group because of randomness screwing strategy)
Last Night on Earth (One of my favorites, daughter loves it, wife is "meh")
Zombies!!! (Wife liked it, daughter is too crazy at times for all of those small fiddly pieces. Wife kind of prefers the card version though now)
Prophecy (Daughter and I LOVED Prophecy, although it took us a full day to play it our first time. Haven't tried it since, but we are planning on it)
Cutthroat Caverns (Group hated it, Family likes it for the most part)
Munchkin (Haven't bothered with the group, Family is inbetween at the moment)
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards (Daughter LOVES this game, even though she doesn't get the humor. I find it a nice, quick fun game)

So those are the basic games I have. I have a lot more small card games and such, but that should give an idea of what I already have in my library.

The game group leader currently, always wants to play Starcraft: The Board Game (plus expansion) or War of the Ring (plus expansion). I'm not really big on War of the Ring, I've won both times as bad and good guys, and find it pretty obvious what needs to be done, the rest is up to dice. I loved Starcraft, but it takes way too long to play on a late evening.

Ideally, I'd love to find something similar to starcraft that keeps a lot of decisions, maybe resource management, has cool pieces, but isn't TOO Long or complex to scare the wife and kid away.

I've also been eyeing the Dungeon Command games, but not sure how well they would scale to 3-4 players.

I've considered Talisman, but I already have Prophecy so not sure if I need it. Same thing with Descent 2.0, since I already have D&D Wrath of Ashardalon and I'm afraid DEscent 2.0 might be too much stats and work for the wife and kid (and group has no interest in it, unfortunately).

Suggestions are VERY welcome! This 80 bucks is burning a hole in my pocket, I have a small game shop and Barnes and Noble nearby to buy from, or I may just order online if it comes down to it.

The game shop has Descent 2.0, Dungeon Command (only 2 diff. armies in stock, I'd prolly order this one online) and Mansions of Madness, but not much else that really caught my eye. Not sure what the B&N up there has in stock right now. MAnsions of Madness seemed like it might be a bit much for play with the wife and kid too, though.

thanks in Advance, and sorry for the long post just figured it was best to give all the info I could! You can also check my profile/collection for more info, if you want! THanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, not one recommendation, huh? LOL. Slow day, or maybe I'm not the only one having a tough time deciding what is best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well that is quite a list of games, I guess the trouble of suggesting something comes from the variety of games and the fact that you have to hard to please gamers in your regular group. For your family since you seem to enjoy Smash Up I would suggest Small World.

For your gaming group I can only assume your group has already done Dominion since you mentioned one person loving the deck building mechanic. Are you the only one that provides games for your group? I can only suggest games that I have enjoyed if that is not the case and I don't think Agricola, Ascension or Power Grid is what you are looking for at this time. I would try to have the group play Smash Up or take a look at Puzzle Strike to see if it would be something you are interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Cutthroat Caverns and the group didnt like it. Said they didnt like not having real choices. I thought they enjoyed Smash Up, but that hasnt been requested again or accepted when offered. I have a feeling its one member of the group who seems to be set on playing HIS games more (its his house we meet at, and Im the newest member, out of 4 total. Been going for almost a year I guess). It used to be all Pathfinder RPG in the beginning. Now he only seems to want War of the ring and starcraft.

I think group-wise, Im gonna start going less and join friday Night Magic up the road off and on. See if I can meet some more gamers.

As for the family, Im gonna give Defenders of the realm a go, and maybe try Mansions of madness, Dungeon command, or Betrayal at House on the Hill for something different. Just not sure which...

I thought about agricola, but I can borrow that one from a friend. small World also. Id just love to find a resource/unit management/attacking game like starcraft or similar that the wife could get into and the kid too...but I think thats gonna be tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
That is a pickle, not much I can offer for that list. Agricola and Tammany Hall will both give you resource and unit management but the attacking aspect isn't really in either game. True you can interpret politics as attacking though, it might be worth a look at some of the online game play videos of Tammany Hall to see if it is your thing. I would buy whatever has been tempting you of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wajda
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics!!

I think it fits for both reasons/groups personally. If it doesn't work with group you can play it with your daughter/family since she likes WOA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.