Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, I had pretty much the best game of Last Frontier I'm ever going to have. Here's a review, along with a few notes on my strategy.

First up was to secure the forward part of the ship and grab the Crew Manifest. We were able to clear that area, including the other shuttle, pretty quickly. I kept 2 marines in the first hallway, and 2 in the lift hallway. Once we had the Crew Manifest taken care of, I put a pilot in the Shuttle and Command Pod, and launched them into space. Six quick VP right there. It meant that we only had the Marine Shuttle left, but since I usually lose plenty of marines, I wasn't worried about space.

We moved into the left section of the ring, checking rooms there. We got lucky, finding some capable crew and a few helpful bots. Generally, I use a 3-man strike team when going into a new area, and I try to spread the group out over multiple spaces, to avoid acid spray. Also, I send robots in first, followed by crew, followed by Marines - might as well keep my most valuable assets protected. We cleared that area out quickly, grabbing the RAM dump, then headed up to to right ring section.

There, things almost got bad. Our specimen handler went berzerk, and two aliens leapt out and surprised the group. I had one crew there, who went down (not dead) from a lucky shot from the specimen handler, and another marine went down from an alien's claws. I realized the fight was hopeless, so the last marine unslung his grenade launcher, and fired two rounds at the specimen handler. The blast radius would hit both aliens, both marines, and the specimen handler. Miraculously, nobody was killed! All five units went down. The specimen handler did manange to revive and attack again, but failed to kill either marine - and by that time, two other marines had reached the site, and turned that bot into scrap metal.

We started checking staterooms, when the next fun event happened - Drive Overload! I realized that the closest computer was all the way in Engineering. Although I had two men outside engineering, I didn't want to move them, since that would leave the hallway empty, and possibly get one of my wounded abducted. So, over the next few turns, we rushed a team down to engineering, getting there just in time to shut down the engines and exchange a spacesuit while they were there.

We went back up and cleared out a few more staterooms, then the ship hit atmosphere. We hauled ass back to the Marine Shuttle, with exactly 12 people, and blasted off with the Reentry Timer on 5.

Returning Crew: 2 x 5 VP: 10 VP
Accounted For: 15 x 3 VP: 45 VP. (I screwed up and accounted for 17 crew, but it doesn't seem like there's anything against that in the rules.)
Returning Marines: 12 x 1 VP: 12 VP. Five marines went down, but not a single kill!
Scientific Victory: 2 VP.
Total Victory: 2 VP.
Cinematic Victory: 2 VP.
Military Victory: 2 VP.

Total Victory Points: 75. A Total Success, and then some! I know I'm never going to have a game of Last Frontier this good again!

By the way, a story: my first game of Last Frontier went like this. Move four marines into the Command Pod. We get ambushed, and one gets killed. Another marine panics, panic fires, misses the alien, and hits the computer. I roll the 'special' result, and the command pod gets launched into space. Yep...great way to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
By the way, a story: my first game of Last Frontier went like this. Move four marines into the Command Pod. We get ambushed, and one gets killed. Another marine panics, panic fires, misses the alien, and hits the computer. I roll the 'special' result, and the command pod gets launched into space. Yep...great way to start.

ROTFLMAO...

Sounds like the Three Stooges! snoreninja

Good writeup...Got my game out, dusted it off, picked up my elite crew of marines from K-Mart and launched into the unknown...(there was a blue light special on Marines there...heh heh heh)

Maybe I should have stayed put? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.