GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Experienced Game Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Byrd
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup:

-When doing the initial explosions, do you place black damage markers?

-Can a POI, hazmat, and hotspot spawn in the same space during setup?

POI refresh phase:

-The rules say to reroll POI placement if there is a smoke or fire there. Does that mean a space can spawn 2 POIs?

Movement:

-Why would anybody ever use 2 AP to move into a fire space rather than 1 extinguish AP to turn it to smoke followed by 1 free movement AP? While the smoke will probably flash back to fire after the end of the round, flashovers happen after the advance fire phase and hence create a firebreak that will hopefully stop some wall damage from accumulating if there is an explosion.

-The quickest way to traverse the map appears to be driving the ambulance close to your destination, then doing a 1-AP extinguish on a fire space with neighboring fire and moving into the smoke in order to intentionally get knocked down by the flashover. This breaks theme pretty badly. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Yes, you always place black cubes from the initial explosions.

(2) Sure.

(3) Yes. see below...

(4) Interesting point...I guess we've never really followed the rules there as intended...we just immediately flipped any tiles next to fire to smoke immediately, and we have never bothered to try what you mention. Not sure I would want to change the way we currently play either...

(5) I suppose you could do that if you really want to...we'd never do such a thing intentionally...many games will let you do things like this to keep the rules simple (or they were never considered), but gamers can always choose not to follow such non-thematic strategies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
mbmbmbmb
jackbird wrote:
POI refresh phase:

-The rules say to reroll POI placement if there is a smoke or fire there. Does that mean a space can spawn 2 POIs?

Garry, I don't have the rules with me, but during POI refresh, don't you use the arrows on the board to relocate a POI when you've rolled a fire space? Also, I thought a POI could be placed in smoke, just not fire. Lastly, I thought the rules do say somewhere that any space cannot contain more than one POI, and to reroll if that become the situation. Am I totally off here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
jackbird wrote:
POI refresh phase:

Garry, I don't have the rules with me, but during POI refresh, don't you use the arrows on the board to relocate a POI when you've rolled a fire space? Also, I thought a POI could be placed in smoke, just not fire. Lastly, I thought the rules do say somewhere that any space cannot contain more than one POI, and to reroll if that become the situation. Am I totally off here?

Sorry Pete...I thought he was talking about setup...I missed that he moved onto the POI refresh stage with this question. Yes, in that case follow the arrows until a valid space comes up...and if one doesn't, well, you can sadly wave yet another victim good bye:( Also missed the mention of smoke...most definitely the POI can go there.

As for a second POI, you may well be right...we've never played with that rule, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there somewhere, although I don't see a thematic issue with two POI's in the same space.

I probably shouldn't be answering questions these days...Lydia has seemingly decided its her job to exhaust her mom and dad and not let them sleep in more than 4 hours at a time and make sure at least one of them is up by 6:30am more often than not...sigh. Her older brother was so much easier in this regard it hasn't helped that she's been fighting a cold for the past week or so too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and yes, went back thru the rules and you do reroll if a POI is already present. My mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ah, the joys of raising a child! Sorry to hear she's fighting a cold. I wish you luck!

One last thing...
garry_rice wrote:
Yes, in that case follow the arrows until a valid space comes up...and if one doesn't, well, you can sadly wave yet another victim good bye

I didn't think the POI was lost if you follow the arrows but can't find a space (since it circles around in the middle of the building). I thought at that point you do reroll, but I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Predki
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
Ah, the joys of raising a child! Sorry to hear she's fighting a cold. I wish you luck!

One last thing...
garry_rice wrote:
Yes, in that case follow the arrows until a valid space comes up...and if one doesn't, well, you can sadly wave yet another victim good bye

I didn't think the POI was lost if you follow the arrows but can't find a space (since it circles around in the middle of the building). I thought at that point you do reroll, but I could be wrong.

You're not wrong. The rules say to reroll the dice if you can't find a spot by following the arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, well, well...I keep finding little rules we play wrongshake We've always referred to them as the circle of death, as it usually gets worse the further you progress along those paths. We've always played that if you get to the end of the arrows and there is no legal placement, you've just lost that victim to the fire (and it seems reasonable...why wouldn't there be victims in areas of the house that are currently aflame? I guess we like to make the game more challenging - although admittably we rarely lose a victim to this situation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackbird wrote:
-Why would anybody ever use 2 AP to move into a fire space rather than 1 extinguish AP to turn it to smoke followed by 1 free movement AP? While the smoke will probably flash back to fire after the end of the round, flashovers happen after the advance fire phase and hence create a firebreak that will hopefully stop some wall damage from accumulating if there is an explosion.

One reason would be that some of the firefighters are unable to put out fire, or are charged double for putting out fire/smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Duque
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I always interpreted the rules as smoke next to fire IMMEDIATELY became fire, not just at the end of turns. So it would be useless to bring a fire that is next to a fire down to smoke because then it would just immediately become fire again (read: you simply can't bring down to just smoke, you have to fully extinguish it now). This solves your situation: you either use 2 ap to move through the fire. Or you use 2 ap to extinguish and then 1 ap to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev Clarke
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmb
garry_rice wrote:
... Also missed the mention of smoke...most definitely the POI can go there.

'Fraid not:
Rules p.10 wrote:
In the Experienced game a POI may only be placed in a space without a Threat marker (Fire or Smoke), Firefighter or another POI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.