Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a vocal advocate of BSW, as well as one of the most critical. It is a great service for us boardgamers, with some great games, but it is not the friendliest of places.

I'm glad to report that Caylus is a continuation of BSW's improvements in game quality and experience. The user interface is almost a screenshot of the actual game board. The graphics for all the tiles, workers, houses, etc. are all very high quality with even higher quality popup zoomins for tiles. Most actions are animated and have audio cues. Using the mouse to control your turn is intuitive with very little exception.

I would suggest the following tweaks/fixes to this excellent game:

- The popups to select cubes/etc always cover the nearby area. I always have to move it (right mouse drag). First, popup somewhere with empty space or no tiles. Second, remember where I dragged the popup for next time.

- When it's my turn to move the provost, it's not clear where it currently is located. If I have moved my mouse cursor just outside the window 3 spaces forward of the provost's actual position, it shows the provost in the "new" location, making me think I need to click there to NOT move it, which costs me 3 deniers! Use one icon for the provost's current location and another for the "mouse click" location.

- There is at least one situation where you are moving the provost with no audio cue. I forget which it is, but this really needs to be fixed.

- Instead of the little castle section icon next the currnet player's name, you should just highlight or frame the actual castle section at the top of the window.

- Highlight works played in the current "round" so I can see the last worker/pass since I played last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
- When it's my turn to move the provost, it's not clear where it currently is located. If I have moved my mouse cursor just outside the window 3 spaces forward of the provost's actual position, it shows the provost in the "new" location, making me think I need to click there to NOT move it, which costs me 3 deniers! Use one icon for the provost's current location and another for the "mouse click" location.

The rest of your points are pretty minor, and I really didn't have a problem with them... however, I was burned once with the Provost, and the wasted 3$ cost me a couple of turns to recover. I agree that there is room for improvement.

All-in-all a very well implemented game... and a pleasant New Year's surprise. I've played way too many games face to face since I bought the game before Xmas... and now I'm going to burn out on BSW, too. Thanks, TAMM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the provost thing, but the rest is just OCD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
I agree with the provost thing, but the rest is just OCD

They should be doing anything they can to improve the experience. These are small things that make it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.