GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fading Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cavalry advance after combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blue bottle
msg tools
Hi

If a cavalry unit must advance after combat (fails its controlled advance dice roll) after routing a unit at least three hexes, can the cavalry unit opt to advance just one hex or does it have to go three hexes (its full movement rate)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
See the example on page 10 of the rules book:
Quote:
Now the French consider their Advance After Combat options.
With a victorious French Cavalry unit among the attackers,
a die roll is required on the Controlled Advanced Table, but
a result of 3 means that Cavalry unit is ‘off to the races’ and
must Advance into the Forest hex. The French Player then
exercises his option to continue to Advance his Cavalry unit
along the Retreat Path and takes a second hex (which is where
the Retreat Path ends).
Finally, the French Player also exercises his option to Advance
an Infantry unit into the defender’s vacated hex, moving the
2-strength III Corps into the Forest.

So, only the first hex is a mandatory advance. The following hexes are only optional advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What Thomas said. Only the first hex of the advance is mandatory (presuming you fail your control roll), all follow-on "pursuit" hexes are entirely optional.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I understand the procedure, but I don't really understand its impact on the post-combat. The only thing that I can see it impacts is if the defender retreated a single hex, and the attacker loses control, then it seems to mean that the cavalry must advance into the vacated hex, which prevents any infantry from advancing into it, right? And, if the defender routs multiple hexes, it doesn't matter as the cavalry can advance along the retreat route and the infantry can advance into the initial vacated hex? So, I think I'm missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a queszion of control!

Sometimes your advancing cavalry brings itself in trouble when storming after the withdrawing enemy. Imagine a 4-2 Elite unit of your opponent, attacked by a 3-2 Infantry, and a 1-3 Cavalry of yours.

Now you manage a DW and your Cav happily loses control and advances one hex. In the following turn your enemy moves his own 1-3 Cav adjacent to your Cav and prevents the reaction retreat and then he finishes it of with a +4 difference!

Edit: And sometimes simply the constellation of enemy units means, that advancing 2 or 3 hexes will bring your Cav near some enemies, possibly an enemy Cav, so you prefer NOT to advance the second and/or third hex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blue bottle
msg tools
Thanks very much for clearing this point up as I missed the example in the rulebook which makes it clear. I must say though that I called this one wrong as I assumed that if the cavalry loses control then they will persue the defeated unit as far a possible. It seems a bit odd they lose control for only one hex then regain command control and decide to halt.

Thanks again your quick responses.

I just need to add that I think this is a fantastic game and those who worked on it should be generously congratulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aquamarine wrote:
I called this one wrong as I assumed that if the cavalry loses control then they will persue the defeated unit as far a possible. It seems a bit odd they lose control for only one hex then regain command control and decide to halt.

Trust me, even a one hex uncontrolled advance will get you into more than enough trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.