Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The guy is fragile and he chose a fragile hero from 4 character options. His team needs to protect him more.

Or, if he is a crybaby, let him bring in a new hero but lose 1 XP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
What's with the "let him"? Along the lines of "Please, oh Great and Powerful Gamemaster, may I?" Wrong game and forum, man.

Hero switching may be "lame", but isn't really a mechanical problem. Definitely don't "make him lose exp", that'd damage the expected power curve.

Don't give him extra gold or gear either though (unless bringing an additional hero in mid-campaign), so he better stay with same class or one with sufficiently similar needs if gear expecting that class was already purchased by the group.

Edit: On the other hand, they agreed to the (ludicrously losing) proposition of random heroes (I assume you're using random monster picks too?), so if it were a fair proposition at all in the first place, one might want to expect them to stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
Guess you're right. Equipment won't be a problem because after that quest is the first time they might be buying something.
Thanks.

Ps we decided for the random hero mechanic due to time constraints, we usually take 30-50 minutes to actually start playing, often not playing that long. Every person looking at 48+8 heroes would take some time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition rulebook, Page 19, Starting a New Campaign wrote:
It’s important to note that the choices the players make now are permanent for the duration of the campaign. Make sure that each player is happy with his choice before proceeding, because choosing heroes and classes is only performed at the start of the campaign.

As far as I'm concerned, you guys used a house rule that favors the Overlord, and one of your players isn't pleased with that, so you probably should go back to standard rules. Drawing one hero randomly from each Archetype is extremely swingy, because some heroes are clearly better than others.

That said, Landrec the Wise is one of the most powerful Mages if you make him a Runemaster, especially later in the game, with the unfortunate drawbacks of 3 Speed and brown defense. He's not the worst choice you could make, but I still think you should have given your heroes a choice.

Some groups do "draw 3, pick 1," and I'd be more amenable to that, but even in that case, I'd also give the Overlord the same limitation when choosing his Open Groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't want players to read trough 48 cards when choosing you had many options to avoid that!

1) make players choose archetype first, and then show them only heroes of that archetype - already cut the reading needed by 4!
2) make players look trough card scans on www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/ before play session - they could spend 2 days reading cards and only spent 5 seconds during your play session to choose
3) make them choose only from base game heroes, that leaves them with only 8 cards, that are usually pretty powerful and "easily" combo with classes

And you chose random drawings, worst option possible probably... So letting him change hero while keeping his class, exp, gold and items shouldn't be any problem. Even if he wanted to change everything it shouldn't be much of a problem. After all it's only your 1st campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir slayer
msg tools
Deleted main post lol. Thought it might delete the thread.
Anyways, we didn't go complete random.
4 out of each colour and they could choose from that. (16 total)
Now they repicked.

Though it seemed that the new monsters kinda break the game but that is a different topic I guess.

edit: they don't read any rules and other stuff at all, they could have read through all if they actually wanted to :/

Quote:
start post
So we started a new campaign with the conversion kit, I (overlord) suggested that we random 4 heroes out of each colour and everyone was fine with it.

Now we played first blood and are at encounter 2 of our first real act 1 mission (cardinal's plight).
However one hero which admittedly was getting targeted by me (brown die / 10 HP) while he stood a bit too open. Is quite pissed and I guess he will complain tomorrow that he wants to change the hero.

Should I just let him switch to another hero? Even though I find it kinda lame?
He chose landrec the wise + runemaster
http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/wp-content/uploads/2012/...

The only argument I see is that he is getting quite powerful later in the game.

What's your opinion about changing heroe's mid-campaign?
Obviously they'll have to play this encounter until the end but I fear that this guy gets discouraged and might break the game group somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the advice "new players should read ALL 48 heroes before playing" is unrealistic.

1) It takes way too long.
2) It's pointless because only experience will give context to make the choice properly informed.

I don't see much harm in letting the player change hero/class. Though I think you should let the OL re-pick upgrades - it's only fair since these are often purchased in response to party composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.